thirtyeight.

It was the day of the football game, and Elizabeth had every intention of attending. Sheri has begged her to tryout for cheerleading, which Elizabeth said she'd think about, and she wanted to support her friends who were both cheering and playing. Her regular school day had ensued, playing the role of girlfriend to Justin, slowly gaining her friends back, and finally sitting on the bleachers and waiting for the boys to come out.

"You're shivering." Clay observed. "Take my jacket." Without giving her a chance to object, he slipped it over her and pulled it right, to collect the warmth.

"I chose the wrong day to wear a light shirt." She added, her teeth chattering. Clay was their for Elizabeth, who wanted him to be somewhat sociable tonight. And she saw them running out, looking for her special number, finding him already looking up at her and winking. She waved shyly and watched them all run into the field.

Elizabeth never properly understood the game of football, but her dad was obsessed. He would attend the school games, despite the fact he knew none of the players. It was his favourite sport. He'd also watch it all the time at home, with snacks and beers, enjoying himself. But she was only looking out for her friends, cheering when the crowd cheered, and catching the eyes of Justin who had stopped every so often to wink at her.

Finally half time arrived, Elizabeth using this allotted time slot to refill her large drink, which she finished long before the game had even started. As she got up to leave, she heard her name booming from the field speakers. She froze in place, looking down at the field to see none other than Justin Foley with a bouquet of flowers and the cheerleaders holding a large sign saying 'Elizabeth Reyes, would you accompany me to the winter formal?' With hearts and kisses and his football number.

She had almost tripped as she ran down the steps and onto the field, engulfing him in a tight squeeze. Whispering a soft, "yes" into his ear. Suddenly, he pulled the microphone up to his face and shouted. "She said yes!" The bleachers went crazy, the foam fingers being thrown into the sky and students clapping for them both. As well as the cheerleaders... well cheering.

"This was amazing, Justin." She admired, looking back at the beautifully decorated banner and the bouquet in her arms. "Thank you, really."

"Anything for you, El."

"I don't think Jess cares anymore, she seems pretty smitten with Alex." Elizabeth stated. Justin was walking her home, as she hadn't driven that day. And her dad was working late. "But I will still accompany you to the winter formal, you big winner."

"I barely did anything tonight, and thank you, I will make it the best dance of your life." He smiled, looking down at her. She now had his letterman wrapped around her tightly, finally arriving on her porch.

"Thank you for walking me home."

"My pleasure."

There was a pause, she hadn't gone inside yet and he hadn't left yet. It's as if they were waiting for something. Elizabeth made the bold decision to lean in, knowing full well he would follow suit, and they kissed. There was no steam, just a sweet, light kiss.

"Goodnight, El."

"Goodnight, Justin."