fortythree.

Elizabeth woke up, surprised her headache wasn't as bad as it was the night of her party. She had slowly trotted down the stairs and into the kitchen, her dad making breakfast. "Morning, dad."

"How's the hangover, mija?" He questioned, seeing her cheeks tinge red. She sat at the island, pouring a glass of juice and hearing a yawn beside her.

"Good morning." It was Justin. She thought he left after he took her home. But he stayed the night? With a confused look on her face, she embraced him and pulled the chair out for him to sit on.

"You stayed the night?" She asked in disbelief.

"Happy to see you too." He responded sarcastically, grabbing a glass for himself. Her dad handed them both a plate, sitting opposite them and digging in. She was confused at how friendly they were both being, acting like they had been friends for years. She was bewildered by their laughing and joking, and their shared interest in sport. But she wasn't complaining.

"Well, I need to get ready for school." Elizabeth declared, standing up and leaving the kitchen. She felt like pinching herself, she was in a state of pure disbelief. She thought her dad would be weird about a guy staying the night, but again, no complaints.

"Can I come in?" She heard after a few gentle knocks. She mumbled a 'yes' and saw Justin emerge through the door. "You're dressed very sporty, what's the occasion?" She giggled and sat on the bed beside him to tie her shoes.

"It's tryouts today, Sheri wanted me to try out as I seem to be doing great in sports recently." She admitted. Justin whooped for her, pulling her up to her feet and into a hug. The pair chuckled together.

"You're going to be my own personal cheerleader." He cheered. She blushed and grabbed her bag. "I came in here to grab some clothes, I'll be ready in 5 minutes." She nodded and left her bedroom, jogging downstairs to find her keys.

"Buena suerte, mija." Her dad called out as she opened the door to leave. Justin had arrived right behind her, waving to her dad as he followed her to the car.

"I'll see you at lunch, El." Justin spoke, closing his locker as she waited beside him. "Good luck at tryouts, you'll do great." She smiled at him, watching as he turned away. Jess had appeared, a vengeful look on her face, and slapped him round the face. "What the fuck, Jess?"

"How can you move on so quickly from me?" She shrieked, Elizabeth stepping back as she feared she was next in line for a mighty smack. "What does she have about her that no other girl does?" Her words were gaining a crowd, trapping the trio in a bubble.

"I'm not having this argument, Jessica. Just go away." He spoke calmly, looking behind him to make sure Elizabeth was okay. But she had disappeared. He couldn't blame her, she was more than likely due for a screaming match with Jessica at some point.

"Fuck you, Justin." She shouted, pushing past the crowd of people as they dispersed. He quickly touched his cheek, wincing at the pain before walking himself to class.

With Justin's day on a decline since the Jess incident, Elizabeth's was sky rocketing. She'd had a great tryout, made the team, and got an A on her biology test, mainly due to Clay. She'd not seen Justin since then, messaging him a numerous amount of times.

Where are you?
I thought you'd be at lunch.
Are you even in school?
????
Justin?

Finally, she went home and was still as worried as she was since she walked away from him and Jessica. He wasn't even reading the messages, let alone responding. She'd gotten through all of her homework, she was even stress eating. Until she finally got the message.

Justin: Can I come over?