thirtynine.

Liberty's finest
Sheri: So, Winter Formal attendees, are we going shopping?

I'm in need of a dress and some heels, Justin towers over me like a giant.

Monty: I'll go.

Zach: Me too.

Charlie: So the whole of this group chat is going shopping together?

No, I think the girls should go separate to the boys, I want my dress to be a surprise.

Justin: You'll look stunning if you turned up in pyjamas.

Zach: Who wears pyjamas anymore? Are you in 6th grade?

Not everyone sleeps naked, Zachary.

Sheri: So it's settled, girls go shopping after school, boys; you can decide for yourselves.

Elizabeth had locked her phone, trying to fall asleep before the busy day tomorrow, but completely forgot to text Justin.

Are we color coordinating?

Justin: It depends on what color you suggest.

I was thinking we go all black. Like you wear a triple black suit, and I'll wear a light black dress.

Justin: Wow, okay. See you tomorrow, El.

See you tomorrow, Justin.

The morning had arrived, Elizabeth waking up later than usual, and only having so much time to get dressed and go. Her hair, in one of it's worse days, had been tied up into a ponytail. "Dad, I'm leaving!" She called out before getting into her car and driving.

She'd met Justin by her locker, a kiss to his cheek becoming a habit now, even if Jess wasn't around. "So," he began, twirling her hair round his finger. "Are you excited for the dance?" She nodded and smiled up at him.

"Are you?" She repeated, watching him nod. "I have to get to Algebra early, Lord knows I struggle with that." He chuckled and kissed her forehead, watching as she ran off.

The day was very mundane. Boring classes, boring lunch with boring conversations, and finally, as if it couldn't come any sooner; the last bell rang. Sheri, Jess, Ani, and Bryce's new girlfriend Chloe were all taking Elizabeth's car. The boys were all piling into Monty's Jeep. She felt awkward around Jess, but there were no bitter words, well, none at all.

"What stores are we headed to?" Elizabeth asked, backing out of the parking lot and beginning their drive to the first location. A small store on the edge of town, completely filled to the brim with all sorts of dresses.

"This is going to take a while."

Hours had passed, and Elizabeth was finally on her way home. She had found her dress and shoes, trying them both on in the store and obsessing over them. And now, her feet aching and her eyes heavy, she'd returned home.

"Can I see tu vestido?" Her dad asked, popping up behind her as she entered the kitchen. She giggled and turned to show him the dress cover. And the box that held her shoes.

"Not until winter formal." She replied, moving past him towards the stairs. "Is dinner ready?" She asked, turning to face him as he sat on the couch.

"We're ordering," he called out. She hummed and took her dress and shoes upstairs, hanging them in her wardrobe. Hearing her phone buzz, she took it from her pocket and saw a few messages from Justin.

Justin: I got my suit, triple black, like you said.
Justin: I can't wait to see your dress.
Justin: Am I picking you up?

I thought maybe you walk over here, and drive us over to the school. Which means you can meet my dad.

Justin: Okay, see you tomorrow El.

See you, J.