Chapter Twenty-Three

I ran my way back to the main floor of the building.

Saka ko nakasalubong ang guards na tila naalarma yata.

They seemed to have gone from a commotion and they immediately surrounded me as if enemies might be straying around.

Kunot ang noo ko, at puno man ng mga luha ang mga mata ay pagalit ko silang tinanong.

"What's going on?"

One of them answered me like an automaton.

"Madame asked us to accompany you back to the mansion, Miss."

His low voice uttered the line so straight, without even having his eyes blink even for once.

"What do you mean? Why?" Naguguluhan ako at nagpabalik-balik ng tingin sa kanila. Hindi ko alam kung bakit iniutos ng Mommy na dumiretso ako pabalik ng mansion. "I wanna go upstairs."

She should actually ask me to be with her upstairs dahil lamay ng kapatid ko.

Technically, lamay ko.

At least, for the eyes of other people.

Humarang naman ang mga guwardiya sa daraanan ko kaya't hindi ko magawang dumaan.

I eyed them ridiculously.

They seriously are starting to get in my nerves now.

They stood there like a queen's man.

But it seems to me that they meant nothing but defiance through anything I say.

Motionless in their black outfit, tall, brooding, and vigorous looking large builts, they were so still and calm, blocking my way.

I should actually be glad about the safety they could lend me.

But they seemed nothing but an inconvinience for me.

"Madame is already waiting back in your home. And she's expecting you to come the soonest possible." Magalang ang tono ng nagsalita, but I haven't been moved by any amusement from it.

Bakit naman?

"What? Then who's attending the wake if Mom's already back at home?"

"Sir Nicolo's still upstairs, handling the things, Miss."

Nagsalubong lalo ang aking mga kilay.

Things are starting to get weirder and weirder for me now.

Why would she be leaving the wake when she was the one who's supposed to be there attending?

Naguguluhan man ay nagpatianod na lamang ako sa mga guwardiyang ito.

I checked my phone.

It was actually, Zariyah's phone, that I managed to open through her finger print and changed the lock for me to get the access.

There were numerous missed calls from my mother.

Kung may ikukunot pa ang aking noo ay hindi ko na alam.

Why does it look so urgent for me?

What's more important than her dead daughter to make her leave it's wake?

Pagdating ko ng mansiyon ay agad akong sinalubong ng Mommy.

"Zariyah! Where have you been?! Are you alright?! Is there—Did your—"

"Mom." I stopped her when she started being hysterical. Hinawakan ko siya sa magkabilang braso at tiningnan ng mabuti. She looked so worried. Scared even. "Calm down. Ano po ba'ng nangyayari?"