Chapter 90

Eyes blazing in pure furious that made me wonder if all he could see was red. Jaw clenched tightly locking in place, refraining or maybe forcefully holding the words that were threatening to escape, in need to scream out of anger and frustration. If that won't give you enough heart attack then you might as well be considered dead by now. But it didn't come, the words never spill out from his mouth.

Deep breathing and heavy silence were the only things I could hear in the office full of testosterone after I spoke the secret that I was meaning to hide.

Anger, disappointment, and worry, but mostly the first two were shooting towards me like a target, never did they look away from me.

"Why?" It was Mykel who broke the weighing stillness in the air with a single word. Why didn't you tell us?

Why didn't I?

I took a glance at Edmund who's somewhat inarticulate with rage. His eyes of color gold pinning at me intensely that I had to swallow.

Ah, I shouldn't have told them about the spiked tea that Azalea had served. I thought regretfully.

I didn't have to look at Lucas with his disappointed visage knowing that he won't help me this time.

Pursing my lips into thin line I asked myself again, why did I keep it from them?

"It doesn't matter," I uttered staring at my hands on my lap gripping the dress. I unclenched and flattened the wrinkles at the same time wiping the sweat off of my palms. "I'm fine. Nothing happened. There's more that needs to be—"

"Elaine!" Edmund bellowed slamming his fist on the dark wooden table blinded with fury. My breath hitched, pushing myself deeper on the couch as his mood darkens and continues to grow choking me in fear. His magic seeping out of him creating greater tension while lightning cracks near him from his magic being uncontrollable. "Are you even hearing yourself?! Do you think this matter is a joke throwing it to the wind just like that? I know you're not this stupid. So don't give that excuse and tell me why?"

"Your majesty, the princess can't breathe," Lucas said with an alarmed voice.

Noticing how my body shook in fright and my skin was ghostly white Edmund immediately retracted his magic. I flinched when a hand touched my back trying to soothe me.

"Hey, father didn't mean to snap at you," Aiden said softly as his hand moved rubbing in a circular motion. "We're jus—"

Words were interrupted with a knock, besides me, everyone turned towards the door and it opened without announcing themselves or waiting for the king to let them come inside his office.

"Are you alright father?" Magnolia spoke as the door closes with a click. With oblivious and zero manners she continued, "Is something wrong?" She paused. "Sister?"

I fisted my dress once again composing myself blinking away the unshed tears. Masking the fear that was visible on my face.

"What are you doing here?" She asked when I looked up at her. I didn't miss the tinge of jealousy in her voice as she gives me a small frown.

My mouth twitched.

"You tell me. Why am I here?" Stoically I asked staring blankly at her.

Confused, she blinked—once, twice. "How would I know?"

"Then it's none of your business."

"Why are you being so rude, sister? I'm just worried about you, you look like you're about to pass out."

I bit my lower lips restraining myself to burst. Why do this heroine had the worst timing for me?

"Magnolia go back to your mother. We're discussing something important with Elaine," Edmund who had already composed himself spoke with his usual cold tone.

"Is sister in trouble? I can wait here until you finish."

"No. I'll see you when we're done."

"Al-alright," she said looking dejected and turned towards the door.

"Also, next time you knock announce yourself and wait for someone to call you in before entering. I won't tolerate if this happens again. It's a simple etiquette that your mother probably taught you not to be rude. . . or did she not?"

Turning back again, Magnolia stuttered an apology, "I'm so-sorry, father. I-I was just excited to talk to you about the pony I saw at the stables."

While the topics of our talk were mostly around my studies and activities, they're discussing rainbows and sparkles. I don't know if I should be jealous or laughing.

There was an awkward silence after Magnolia left leaving the goddamn pony in my head and surely they somehow were thinking the same thing.

Talking about a pony with the king. . . How stupidly interesting.

Magnolia disturbing us might be a good thing. It gave me the chance to slightly calm myself in the little amount of time.

Lucas cleared his throat suppressing his laughter. "Let's get back to—" he started but I cut in.

"No. I don't want to speak about me. We are going to talk about mother and her death that's why we're here and him."

Jiro lowered his head when all eyes were on him. He fumbled his thumbs in anxiety.

"Ye-yes," he squeaked affirming, backing me up. "Her majesty, the queen, didn't die from childbirth but because of the poison that I made."

And that, he almost died. Shouldn't have let him speak. I also almost died jumping in front of Jiro, protecting him.