Chapter 1

Talia POV

Have you ever wondered what it's like to have nothing? No money, no home, no life, no family, and no love. To be stripped of your dignity and self-worth. To be given away as a baby and jump from foster home to foster home. To feel the pain of being given up on before anyone even tries to make you feel wanted.

No?

Well, I have. My name is Talia Rivers and I just turned 21 years old on August 21st. On my eighteenth birthday, I was kicked out of an all-girls foster home. Kicked out with only five hundred dollars, a cell phone, and a letter that my parents left for me when they left me at a fire station in the cold. Who does that to a baby? Who gives birth, keeps their baby for a week, and then drops them off at a fire station like garbage. It's horrible and I couldn't believe I was that baby and those were my parents.

By the time I was fifteen years old, I have been in eight foster homes and two all-girl homes. I have dealt with abuse, mentally and physically from my foster parents and siblings. Yeah, it was horrible until I turned sixteen and was sent to Realms All-Girls School. It was a school for young girls ages 12-18, who were in the system and had nowhere to go. They provided three meals a day and a room. But the rooms were made to fit ten girls in each.

Each room was like a classroom and had a teacher or 'foster mom' as they told us. The foster mom would be the one to teach those ten girls everything they would need to know. School lessons and survival education. By the time you leave, you should have your GED. But the survival lessons usually were about how to dress for an interview, what to say, how to pay bills and they even teach us how to beg if we can't find a job. That's where I met Mrs. Jones.

She was my foster mom there and she was the sweetest lady ever. We got along really well and I was able to talk to her about everything. She felt like she was my real mom and it hurt me that the moment I turned eighteen, I had to leave. But I think it hurt more that she couldn't adopt or foster me outside of the girl's home. But she made sure I had a phone to be able to call her and five hundred dollars to be able to get a room for a few nights while I looked for a job. She wanted me to stay in Oregon but I told her I couldn't and she understood. So that's when I decided I wanted to go to Los Angeles, California and she thought it was a good idea and bought me a train ticket. We shed our tears and I left, calling and texting her on my way there since it took a couple days.

When I arrived in Los Angeles, it was mid day and the sun was setting. I got off the train with my one little suitcase that held a couple pairs of jeans and a few shirts and one interview outfit. Mrs. Jones made sure I had clothes before I left and I couldn't thank her enough.

I pulled out my phone and sent a quick text to her, letting her know I have made it and was heading towards a motel for the night. She replied quickly and told me to be safe. I smiled at the phone reading that before I placed it in my back pocket and walked down the street until I found a motel. It looked a little run down on the outside but not to bad.

I walked to the front desk and got me a room for the night. I was a little shocked when I heard the room was $40 a night. I paid and the receptionist gave me a room keys. I thanked her and headed straight to my room. Walking in, it had a single full size bed, a dresser with a old box tv on it, and a little microwave. It also had a bathroom with a sink, tub and toilet. I few towels sat on the sink with complementary soaps. I looked at the shower and thought it would be so good to take a shower.

I placed my bag on the bed and took some pajamas out for when I got out the shower. I went back towards the bathroom and stripped out of my dirty raggedy clothes. I hopped in the shower and stood under the hot water for about twenty minutes before I washed my body and got out. I got ready for bed in my pajamas and turned the tv on. I kept turning it until I found a channel that was playing an episode of family guy.

I laid in bed and thought about how I have to find a job soon. I know five hundred dollars isn't going to last me long. I thought to myself about how long tomorrow is going to be.

With that I continued to watch Family guy before darkness consumed me and was sleep.

******************

I woke up this morning around 7am and did my morning business and got dressed in my interview clothes. It was going to be a hard to find a job, because who was going to hire a eighteen year old that's never worked besides the simple job and chores she was assigned to at the group home.

After four hours and at least twenty no's, I started to lose a little faith. Becoming tired, I stopped in front of a cute little diner. It was an all white building and had a pink neon light sign that read Daisy's Diners. It also had a help wanted sign taped on the window. I thought maybe I can hit two birds with one stone, if I was lucky. Walking in through the front glass doors, I was hit with the smell of pancakes and bacon. It made my stomach growl. It had a few tables and a lot of red booths. I was looking around before she heard someone say,

"Sit anywhere you like, dear. I'll be with you in a second." I just nodded her head and sat in one of the booths in the corner. After looking around and looking at all of old black and white pictures hung on the wall, I was soon interrupted by someone.

"Those are all pictures from the early 1900's. It's amazing how it's different from now." I look up and I'm met with a beutiful light skin girl, with curly light brown hair thats pulled up in a messy but stylish messy bun, she also looked pretty young. "Welcome to Daisy's Diner, im Alicia and ill be your waiter tonight." She smiles at me before she hands me a menu. "What drink can I get started for you?" She asks with a smile.

"Ill just have an ice water." I told her and she smiled as she wrote it down on her little pad. "Great, Ill be back in a few minutes with your water and give you time to look at the menu." I thank her and she runs off to another table and starts picking up the dirty dishes from a family that just left.

I looked down at the menu and scrolled through it before I decided on Pancakes with a side of fruit salad. As I placed the menu down, she must of noticed because she came back, sat my water down infront of me. "Here is your water, have you decided what you wanted?" I nodded and told her what I wanted. She was going to walk off before I stopped her.

"Hey Alicia, right?" She smiles and nods. "I have a question, I seen your help wanted sign and was seeing if you were still looking for someone?" I pointed at the sign and she smiled at me before she nodded. "Oh yes! We have been looking for someone for a week now. Are you out interested?" She asked and I nodded my head.

"Great, our manager just came in and I can let her know your here?" She said. I nodded with a smile and thanked her. "No problem, my manager is really nice and she is going to be so happy. Ill let her know and put your order in." I thanked her again before she walked away.

Soon a red headed older lady came out smiling. Alicia walked towards me with her following behind. They arrived to the table and I stood up. "Hello dear, my name is Kelly and Im the owner here. How are you?" She asked and I took a deep breath and smiled at her, "Im good ma'am. How are you?" I asked and she smiled at me, "Im doing so much better now that your here. Would you like to sit and talk for a bit?" She said as she pointed at the booth the moment I nodded my head.

We talked for a bit, I told her a little about myself and she didnt judge me. I told her how I have never had a job before and she said that wasnt a problem, as long as I can mutitask and take people orders. I told her I can do that and soon she was shaking my hands, telling me I can start tomorrow.

"Oh dear, I wanted to ask you where you are staying at? I remember you said you got here yesterday." She said and I nodded, "Im staying at the hotel down the street." She gasped, "That run down looking one a few blocks away?" I just nodded and she shook her head, "Oh no, no, no! That wont do at all. That place is so dangerous, I cant let you stay there. When your done eating, stay here. Im going to make some calls real quick." She said and walked away before I can even answer back to her. I was confused and Alicia just smiled.

"You will see." Is all she said before she walked away giggling. I was confused but soon my answers would be answer.