~ Chapter 23 ~

Outside the mansion, the X-Tornado is ready to take off as its wings fold into position.

"Stand by for takeoff!"

The palm trees fold back. 

"X-Tornado, let's go!"

The X-Tornado taxis down the runway.

"Lifting off."

It takes off with Amy, Chris, Danny, Y/N, and Sonic aboard.

"Hold on tight, Sonic and Y/N. It's time to deploy our stabilizing wings."

The other wings fold as the X-Tornado flies out of sight.

"Do you think they'll be able to find that seventh Emerald, Mr. Thorndyke?" Frances asked.

"It's possible, but they're not the only one who will be looking for it." Chuck said.

"I hope so, too." Hikaru said, looking to where the X-Tornado had gone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Any signs of the Emerald yet, Tails?" Amy asked.

"Nope."

"Wow, this is so great!" Danny exclaimed.

But Chris has a sad expression, and he does not answer. Sonic, who is standing on the wing, is looking around. But Y/N noticed Chris and wondered what's making him so sad.

"Hey, c'mon. Aren't you gonna help look?" Danny looked at Chris.

"Uh, yeah, sure."

As Danny pulls out a pair of binoculars and looks through them, Chris looks down sadly, knowing that may very well be the last day he ever sees Sonic and Y/N.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Knuckles is walking through the forest, holding the Chaos Emerald he found in Oriental City.

"This planet isn't so bad, I suppose, but I'd do anything to get back home. What did that voice say?"

~FLASHBACK~

"The servers are the seven chaos."

~FLASHBACK OVER~

Knuckles stops.

"We can only get back home if we find all seven Chaos Emeralds. Well... Sonic, Y/N, and those guys have four, Eggman's got one, and then there's this one I got from Hawk. That makes six in all. But even if we find the last one, we'd still have to convince Eggman to give up his. And since Sonic and Y/N, and Eggman don't seem to see eye-to-eye, we'll never get back home unless I can get them to work together."

He hears a strange beeping noise from nearby.

"What's that?"

He parts the bushes and sees Lucky on its back, struggling to get up. Knuckles runs over and helps it up.

"You must be Eggman's robot."

Lucky nods.

"Yeah? What are you doing around here?"

It points toward the Egg Fort II, which Knuckles now sees. He holds up his Emerald.

"Maybe the Emerald led me here somehow."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In Chris' school, the students are doing their work as Mr. Stewart writes on the chalkboard. Chris does not look engaged.