~ Chapter 26 ~

Chris, Chuck, Sonic, Y/N, Knuckles, and Big are gathered up in the lab, drinking coffee.

"Shouldn't we be out trying to stop Eggman instead of taking a coffee break?" Sonic asked.

"I'm hoping that we could put our heads together and unravel the mystery of Eggman's Chaos creature." Chuck said. 

"It's the most powerful thing I've ever seen. We watched it gulp down two Chaos Emeralds like they were candy." Knuckles said.

"They made that thing even stronger!" Sonic said. "Not only that! But he tried to eat my sister!"

"What?" Chris gasped.

"It's true. It had something to do with this necklace." Y/N said, showing them the crystal. "It may have some sort of connection to the Chaos Emeralds."

"That's what I was thinking." Knuckles said.

"It sounds like it's going to be a real challenge to defeat this creature." Chris said.

"It will. I knew it would be trouble when I saw it on Angel Island." Knuckles said and began to explain what happened. "After Chaos Control happened, Angel Island was transported into this world. That's where the Master Emerald was, and I guarded it around the clock. One night, a huge bolt of lightning woke me up. But this wasn't an ordinary thunderstorm. Something very strange was happening at the summit. I knew the Master Emerald was in danger, but it was too late. And that's when I saw it."

"If the Master Emerald's on Angel Island, why aren't you there now protecting it?"

"Because it's too late. The Chaos creature made sure of that."

Knuckles then told them that the Master Emerald has been shattered and that the Angel Island had fallen into the ocean. Y/N grew worried as Knuckles became silent after. She grabbed his hand to comfort him, making him look at her hand.

"You shouldn't blame yourself for what that creature did, Knuckles." Chuck said.

"Big, when you were looking for Froggy in the forest, didn't you see something that looked like Chaos?" Chris asked.

"I tried to catch Froggy, but he was faster than me, and he hopped away with something I found in the forest." Big said.

"What was that?" Chuck asked.

"It was a big purple rock. It looked awful pretty when it was glowing."

Chris stands up.

"That sounds like it could have been a Chaos Emerald!"

"If that's the case, then we'd better find that little frog quick or it won't survive long."

"Why, Grandpa?"

"Because Dr. Eggman is determined to do anything to seize an Emerald. The more Emeralds he feeds that Chaos creature, the easier it will be to take over this world."

"He's right. There's no way we can fight him if he keeps getting harder and stronger." Y/N agreed.

"It's vital we find those Emeralds before Eggman uses their power to conquer us all."

Sonic stands up.

"No sweat. I'll find 'em."

"You have a plan, Sonic?" Chris asked.

"You know I prefer to think on my feet."

"I'll go and look for the broken pieces of the Master Emerald." Knuckles said.

"I'll come with you, Knuckles. I need to know about this crystal." Y/N said.

"What? No way, sis. What if you get hurt?"