Update on me

Well, I've been out of the hospital for almost a month now and my glucose numbers are back to normal. I have a new Bluetooth glucose meter that'll help me log my numbers and keep me on track. Just need my doctor to give me more test strips and lancets.

I've been Type One Diabetic for almost eight years and the diabetic ketoacidosis happened to me twice. Once, i passed out with a very high number and was in a coma for two days. This happened in late April, early May when i was still working for my local Walmart supercenter. I was sent home with an upset stomach and threw up 10 times and all i saw was green beans. I'm not trusting a vegetable for a long time. I passed out on my boyfriend's bed and he had to call the ambulance because i couldn't wake up. I was conscious for ten minutes and i saw my boyfriend with my parents and then lost consciousness again. When i came out of my coma, i was shocked and looked around the hospital in fear. I had three IVs in me, one in both of my arms and the third in my right hand. I saw machines, tubing, bags of medicine. I was scared. When i finally heard my boyfriend's voice on the phone, i wanted to cry. He always calm me and that moment with the nurses around me, i wanted to cry and tell him i wanna come home. A few days later, i was ready to go home and i made the choice to leave with my boyfriend than go home with my parents. I would rather the calm interaction than yelling and it has been that, calm interactions and lots of laughter.

My second time was early July, before my father's birthday. I got a call from my mother and she told me that i got diabetic ketoacidosis (also known as DKA) again. It was mild unlike the first time. I had inflammation in my body and arthritis in my right knee. I had the ketoacidosis before the inflammation started and when i was inflammed, it pushed itself to the edge and i was in DKA again. I had temps and random chills and i wouldn't eat. The week before was the time i lost my job that i loved for a while. With the temps and the inflammation, we were treating for the symptoms of DKA, not the cause and that what made me go to the hospital for the second time for DKA. My boyfriend told it's better to see me conscious along side of him than passed out in an ambulance. And our county was in the yellow/green zone of this covid-19 that allowed visitors but only two per patient. And my boyfriend took that opportunity to see me and enjoy our time together. Some days he'd leave early for work and some he stayed and ate with me. He gave me a kiss when he arrived and when he left and he made me happy. We talked every night when i was in the hospital and the day when i was discharged was the day i finally got some sleep after a few days of blood tests and heart monitoring. This time in the hospital, i wasn't allowed any caffeine so i didn't have the regular soda or regular diet i like to drink or even chocolate. Not even a cup of coffee. Nope, decaffeinated coffee they gave me and it wasn't so bad but the coffee at home makes my day better.

After this second time in the hospital, i limit my caffeine intake, my arthritis is still bad but i can take Tylenol to ease the pain, i have no inflammation or pain like i used to. I have more control over my glucose numbers and I'm having my usual lows than the highs. I haven't been past 325 and that was my highest since i was out of the hospital. My boyfriend helps me with my diabetes and he knows more than my actual mother. He's been around diabetics for at least 15 years and he shows me different things i can do to better control my diabetes and i teach him what i know, even showing him my old carb counting book from when i was first diagnosed. I may need an updated version but until then, I'll deal with the one i have. I have made some changes in my diet as well. Limiting what kind and how much potatoes i eat, barely any sweets, more water and whole wheat bread. Whole wheat has less carbs than white bread and i love the taste of whole wheat. My knee hasn't been in pain for a few days and when it is, it hurts badly. But I'm taking care of myself and i will be with calm interactions from my boyfriend and his family, helping me and learning what i have to do. Plus, since I'm unemployed, i get to help out more in the house like do dishes and clean up rooms. Wasn't able to when i was working. I would work five days out of the week and sleep during my days off. Now, I'm able to do more around the house. And when I'm not working around the house, I'll be updating on my books. Just the last time in the hospital wiped me out and decided to give myself a little reset and I'll be back with more stories.

It's hard to be unemployed and thinking about your job. I loved my job and i loved working. It hurts me that i would be fired for something they suspected. I was fired for being "untruthful" during an investigation. I probably told you all that but I'm saying it again in case people forgot. I was sexually assaulted at my workplace by a coworker higher than an associate. He was training to be supervisor but lost it when i told my manager. Heis still working but i lost my job, a job i loved and coworkers who were my friends. I loved my job and my team. I hope and pray that I'll get my job back.

But I'll be updating soon. Just an update on what went on to me and how I'm feeling. I am off of my insulin pump and back to the pens i used to use. It gives me more freedom and less worry about damaging the insulin site and tubing. Even though I'm back on two kinds of insulin, it is all trial and error. My glucose numbers has been very good and in range. It's difficult to manage but once you know how to, it becomes easy and once you have the right range for yourself, you'll have better control over your diabetes, like i did. Just a little something i want to write to you all. But like i said, I'll be updating soon. So until then, I'll see y'all soon!!

Michelle