1

June 20th, 2010
•••Amelia•••

Life. Life is very funny, isn't it? I've been dealing with the concept of life since I let go of someone years ago. Finding myself was the best thing I could possibly do but it took years to find myself when I thought I had it all together.

Shortly after 2003, I got the unexpected news of losing my father. Everyone took it hard especially to me since I was a daddy's girl. My body shut down completely and I turn to drinking. Soon enough I became numb to alcohol, it became something apart of my life for four years. Passing out at bars, over-drinking constantly, not remembering anything, being suicidal. In 08', I finally got help with the help of Stacy and my family.

During that time I was still working like a dog. After Prince, I was lucky to get more celebrity clients which were a complete dream. The last high profile client I had was the one and only Michael Jackson before his tragic death. I worked with Michael on two separate occasions, one for his last photoshoot for Ebony magazine then to be his personal photography for his last tour in London. We became slightly close but it was mostly us having a great time. Next to Prince, I have to say Michael was someone I also looked up too as well. I'm grateful that I had my opportunity with him.

Nowadays I'm still doing photography, I have my own business in my hometown with other photographers. I hired three talented individuals that can work a camera like me, or just as good as me. Being the boss is sometimes stressful but I think I have to say, I learn a lot from Prince in that department because he was a good boss, I'll give him that.

"They came out fantastic. I hope you enjoy them." I smiled while handing one of my customers a large envelope of the finish prints.

The woman holds her child in one arm while smiling brightly. Her husband stands next to her also giving me a small smile. "Thank you again. It was such a last-minute thing and you came through."

I waved my hand, "No problem at all." I send them all a smile while they left out of my shop. My assistant photographer, Robyn came over with my coffee. "Thanks, girl. I forgot you went out on a coffee run."

She shrugs, "It's a slow day, we need some energy." Robyn was the first photograph I hired after I saw her work at this art festival downtown a few years ago. She is fiery and fierce with a great sense of humor. "Plus I had to get away from Tony. He's in a mood again since he and his girlfriend got into some fight."

I sip on my creamy coffee, "Oh lord. Is he listening to Maxwell again? That's the fourth time this week." I said with a small laugh. Robyn nods while rolling her eyes. "I'll go and check on him. Look out for any customer and the phone."

"Ay, Ay, Captain!"

I giggled at her foolishness while walking towards the back of the shop. I peak in on Ricky, another photographer I hired, he's working on a family portrait. He's really good with the kids and teens so we keep him in that department. Ricky and I met through Tony. Soon as I approach Tony's area, I heard the sound of 'Pretty Wings' by Maxwell.

He's roaming around the room singing along while cleaning up his space. I lean in the doorway watching him closely trying hold in my laugh. Tony and I met at this party held by a mutual friend of ours in 2006. Since then we have been close but I didn't hire him until he was done working on his own thing.

"If I can't have you, let love set you free. To fly your pretty wings around..PRETTY WINGS, YOUR PRETTY WINGS!" Tony belts out and that's when I had to stop his ass. I hurried over to cut off the radio. His head snaps back so fast. "Amelia..."

"Tony, now I know you are going through something but you ain't gonna be screeching Maxwell lyrics around here constantly." I crack a smile and joke as he pouts. "Babe, invest in some headphones. It's 2010 and we have touch screen phones."