7

August 4th, 2010
•••Amelia•••

"Make sure you ask lots of questions. And take notes. And pay very close attention to the dorms." I list off things I read last night on this website about when you chose a college. By the look on Arielle's face as we walk to the main hall on this large campus, she's already over me. "Are you listening to me?"

She groans, "Yes, Amelia. I know you told me the same things last night. I can do this."

"Well, you were the one that wanted me to come." I folded my arms at her sass. She gives me a smirk and bumps my hip.

"I wanted you to come with me because I want you to make sure I'm making the right choice. This shit is scary, Amelia." She stresses. I drop my arms and place one around her shoulder. "What if college is not for me?"

I smack my lips, "Baby girl, you haven't even tried it yet. Until you try that's when you know. I wish I could have had the opportunity to go to college. But things were different back then." I told her remembering the conversation with my parents when they told me that they didn't have enough money for me to go. It hurt me to the core since I saw my older brother, Shawn, and my older sister, Angela go to college.

Hell, Mari is in college too and now Arielle is going. Though I may be the most 'successful' (or whatever that means) out of all of us, I always want to go and study photography but life have other plans. I just want her to be supported and have the best college experience that I didn't have.

"And if you don't like it, then I'll be here to pick up the pieces with you," I said sincerely as she smiles shyly. "Ari, you got this. If you really like the open house sessions then we will get things together for you quickly."

She wraps her arms around my waist hugging me tightly. "I fucking love you."

"I fucking love you too." I hugged her back and kiss the top of her head.

Arielle and I are the only ones in the family that show real feelings and emotions with each other. In most black families, you don't show too much affection with each other. Like you love them right? But it's something that's off and only people with black families understand that.

We signed in and met up with our group. I felt like a kid again, I'm probably more excited than Arielle. I had my mini notebook writing little details down. Arielle and other guest were asking the tour guide multiple and good questions.

The campus is gigantic, literally. I found myself seeing numerous buildings that look just the same. Gabriel, our tour guide, showed us through a few of the buildings. He seems like an outgoing and funny guy by the small jokes he made.

We are now in one of the student union studying space. Arielle keeps nudging me, "Our tour guide keeps eyeing you down, Melia. You want some Minnesota 'good good'?" She winks.

I continue looking around while smacking her arm. "Girl, he ain't looking at me. And no I don't want no Minnesota 'good good'." I laugh at her silliness and spoke again. "Been there, done that."

She stares at me for a moment. "Who-" Her faces change from a shock to disgust expression. "Oh my god. I didn't know you and..." Arielle glances around before whispering. "Prince did the dirty...oh my lord." She waves herself.

"I never ask and all I said was been there and done that. You were the one who put two and two together." I blush lightly while laughing. She continues to look at me with disappointment. "What?"