9

August 24th, 2010
•••Amelia•••

The one thing of having a business that occasionally has me worrying is competition. It's one thing of making sure that I have clients for myself and my employees. Then make sure my employees get paid and pay the bills for this place and for my own home. Yes, it's a struggle to keep up at times but I love my little studio. So to hear that a new photography studio is opening up in two months across the street from me is bothering me heavily.

I'm angry, worried, and just nervous about what might happen. I know exactly who is running that joint and most likely it will but people that aren't the same color as me, it's true. The placement of my studio is downtown, downtown buffalo is split into half. One side is a slight hood with some projects and problems. And the other side is filled with high-class people that don't care about business owners that look like me. They gather everything for themselves and don't give a shit who it hurts.

"Goodness gracious..." I sigh heavily while my head throws back as my eyes look up to the ceiling of my office.

Sometimes I wish I stayed doing things for celebrities. Here and there I would get some A-list clients but the jobs only last for a few weeks because of their schedules. I miss seeing the world only if I saw maybe two countries, I miss that part of my life occasionally. But I'm grateful to have this business of mines because I worked hard for this. I just don't want some people to ruin my work. It would crush me if I have to let this place go.

A knock at the door pulls me out of my thoughts. I said a quick come in, the door opens with Robyn poking in her head. "Hey, I was checking in with you before I left. Toni and Ricky already headed out."

"Oh, I'm alright just going through these bills before I lock up." I smile faintly as she walks in. Robyn gives me a look, one of those looks like she knows something is on my mind. "Yes, Robyn?"

She takes a seat in front of me and smiles, "What's really wrong with you? Is it about that new photography studio? Amelia, you know you have the best of best."

"I know that Robyn, it's just sometimes I think of what could happen. Three businesses on this block closed down because of the new 'rich' owned businesses." I told her honestly as she smacks her lips.

"Rich...ha! Rich white people with power. They can't take this place away from you. Don't worry too much because it will get in your head."

She's right about that. I worry too much and sometimes I need to just go with the punches more. I drop my pen and rubs my face. "You're right."

"I'm always right. That's why I'm your second best friend." Robyn smiles widely and tosses her blonde hair over her shoulder. "I'm here to tell you that it's all gonna be alright, sis."

My cellphone begins to ring as I flash her grin and shook my head. I glance at the caller ID and saw that familiar number, "Hold on one second." I told her as she nods and takes out her phone.

I step outside to answer the call while closing my office door. "Hey, Prince."

"Hi Amelia, are you at home?" Prince says quietly over the phone. My brows went straight up in confusion. "Well I don't see your car so I guess not."

I gasped loudly, "What the fuck are you doing at my house, Prince? What kind of shit are you pulling?" See I don't like that type of stuff. It's one thing of him coming to Buffalo which is fine but damn can you at least tell me and not pop up at my house. WHEN I'M NOT THERE!

"Feisty today are we?" He chuckles as I huff lowly. "When are you coming home? I've been out here for a half-hour."

"Why didn't you text or call me earlier? First of all, why didn't you tell me you were even here?"