Chapter 7

Sohyun's POV

It had been exactly a month since the competition, yet Taehyung never stopped visiting us. He would come to meet Jennie, and sometimes he'd say he missed grandma and walk with us towards home. I often felt as if he was staring at me, but whenever I turned to look, he'd be lost in his own thoughts. Maybe I was just overthinking things.

Today, he asked me to have a meal with him. Jennie mentioned she had work to complete, so she headed home earlier than usual. The atmosphere felt oddly tense, so to ease it, I asked, "How was your day today?"

"I don't know, but it's going to be the best day after spending it with you," his reply shocked me. I didn't expect him to be so straightforward.

"You're really direct," I commented, still unsure why spending time with me would make his day better.

He dodged my question with a boxy smile, and I sensed he was feeling a bit uncomfortable. I decided to drop it.

"Don't you think it's too early for dinner?" he asked with his husky voice.

"Maybe," I replied.

"Would you mind going somewhere with me?"

"As long as it's not a club or casino," I joked.

"Don't worry," he assured.

"Will you tell me where we're heading?" I asked as we got on the bus, but he just shook his head with a whispered "it's a surprise."

We got off at the next bus stop, walking for a while until we arrived at a place beyond my expectations. I had never seen such a beautiful garden before. It was like a flower exhibition, with every kind of flower imaginable. In the center, there was a bench that made the scene even more perfect.

"Am I dreaming? How did I not know about this place?"

"No, it's not a dream. I have no idea how you didn't know about it," he replied.

I walked towards the bench, still in disbelief. I pinched myself, feeling the pain, and Taehyung couldn't help but laugh at my reaction.

"Yah, Kim Taehyung! How dare you laugh at me?" I scolded him.

"Why can't I laugh at you? And yes, you're younger than me but still call me 'Kim Taehyung' instead of Oppa. How dare you drop the honorifics?" he teased.

"Okay, let's call it even," I relented, smiling.

As I sat on the bench, taking in the beautiful surroundings, I could feel him sitting next to me.

"Can I ask you something?" he suddenly spoke.

"What?" I asked, feeling a bit nervous.

"Your dream is to be a lawyer. Have you ever thought about working abroad?"

"No, I don't want to work abroad. After I complete my studies, I want to bring my mom to Seoul and live with her happily," I answered honestly. I never wanted to leave my mom behind. I wanted her to have peace of mind after I got a decent job.

"What about your dad? Are you going to leave him?" His question shifted the mood.

"I don't even know where my dad is," I turned to face him, seeing the guilt on his face.

"I'm sorry," he said softly.

"There's no need for you to apologize. I don't blame you or him. It's all about karma," I smiled at him, trying to reassure him.

"I don't like getting sympathy or people pitying me. It makes me feel weak. So, don't you ever pity me," I added, more for myself than for him.

"You're really a positive-minded girl," he remarked.

"Let's leave this topic. I'm getting hungry."

I took one last glance at the garden, promising myself to come back, before we left.

Taehyung then took me to a restaurant, and I could tell his taste in choosing places was impeccable. Just like the garden, this restaurant served delicious food. I promised myself to visit this place again for another meal.

After our meal, he kept insisting on walking me home. I tried to convince him to go directly to college, but it was like pouring water on a stone.

As we walked side by side, the street lights illuminated our path. He kept staring at me, and this time, he didn't look away when I caught him.

"Why are you staring at me?" I asked, feeling a bit awkward.

"It's because you're pretty, beautiful, gorgeous... and what other words are there?" he replied, making my heart flutter and my cheeks blush.

"See this liar," I tried to dodge his answer.

"I'm not lying. You know I'm straightforward," he said.

"What's the relation between telling the truth and being straightforward?" I asked playfully.

"I don't know," his answer was short, but it surprised me. I stopped walking, and for some reason, the question slipped out of my mouth, "You don't go around calling girls pretty. Why do you find me pretty? Do you like me?"

I mentally hit myself for being foolish, expecting him to think I was mad. But the question was out there now, and I waited for his response, unsure of what to expect.