서른 넷

Cookies were fairly simple to make. Some eggs, flour, sugar, a little bit of butter, a shit ton of chocolate chips, maybe some baking powder and milk.

Cookies were really easy to make, so Hyejin and Wheein needed some explanation as to why the kitchen was on fire.

But let's go back maybe, I don't know, an hour.

Yongsun and Byulyi had just come out of the bedroom with a pack of cookies they had thrown on the couch where the kids were sitting, receiving grateful, incredulous looks from the two women who started inhaling them one after the other.

They were on their way to the kitchen, to make themselves some real, warm cookies,  since Yongsun thought it would bring Byulyi some comfort.

After all, ain't nothing like some homemade chocolate chip cookies and milk.

Byulyi looked for a recipe online, while Yongsun got out all of the utensils she thought they would need: two large bowls, a wooden spoon and a whisk, as well as some measuring cups and a scale.

"Okay, here's one." Byul showed her the recipe. Seemed fairly easy, why not?

They gathered the ingredients necessary and put them on the counter. Yongsun determinedly rolled her sleeves up and began working, her fuzzy socks slipping on the kitchen tiles as she slid up and down the counter to measure the flour and both the brown sugar and the white sugar. Byulyi was trying to decipher what difference did it make to use one or the other.

"Move your ass, dickhead." Yongsun scolded once she caught Byulyi do nothing but stare at the packs of sugar. But she had to admit she found her confused expression really endearing.

Byulyi pouted, but began to measure exactly half a stick of butter. She almost brought out a ruler, but she was sure she would never hear the end of it. She cut the stick on half, proud of her job, and opened another one, since the recipe called for one stick and a half of butter.

"This is so much butter." Byulyi observed as he let the butter fall on the bowl. Yongsun looked into the bowl and grimaced.

"We eat healthily all the time, it's fine." She said, not sure if she was convincing Byulyi or herself more.

Yongsun mixed the dry ingredients, waiting for Byulyi to put the eggs and vanilla in, but she found that her girlfriend was preoccupied with the chocolate chips, trying to steal the little pieces of chocolate while Yongsun wasn't looking.

Yongsun gasped and hit her hand.

"There has to be enough for the cookies!" She scolded, to which Byul groaned.

"There's more than enough! I've only stolen three!" She protested. Yongsun squinted at her.

"And you were going to stop there." She said. "You weren't going to continue eating them." She deadpanned. Byul gave her a cheeky, full smile and kissed her cheek, making a huge peck sound. Yongsun frowned at her, but she knew she failed at hiding her smile, so she slapped her girlfriend's arm and huffed.

"You're such an asshole." She pouted, cracking an egg into the bowl and whisking it into the mixture, which became a thick paste. "Pass me the vanilla and shut up."

"Vanilla?" Byul asked. "I don't think we have any, babe." She said, opening and closing cupboards to check. And she was right. There was no vanilla in the house.

Now, anyone would just completely disregard the vanilla and just proceed with the recipe. But this is Yongsun we're talking about.

"Order some." She asked Byul while she continued stirring the dough. Byul turned to her and looked at her like she had grown a second head.