chapter thirty three

JOEL walked outside and found Iris sitting on the bench in the backyard. "It's cold out here," he said as he sat next to her. "I know," she responded, not turning to look at him.

"Talk to me," he said, eyes focused on her. "I am talking to you," she shrugged. "No. You're just responding with what I already know. What's your on your mind?" he asked again.

Iris finally turned to meet his eyes. For once, he saw something inside her break. It was like, she lost all of her light. And that tugged at something in his heart.

"I know I may not show it but I need her. She keeps me sane in this house, especially with that kind of father. His daughter is literally dying and he's just cooped up in his wing? She's basically all I have," she choked out, the tears slowly running down.

Joel didn't say anything, instead he pulled her into his arms as she cried into his shoulder. "I'm here. I got you, always," he whispered as he stroked her hair, kissing the top of her head.

"Also, I owe you an explanation," she said as she pulled away, wiping her tears. "About what?" he asked. "Corbyn," she responded.

"You don't have to tell me now," he said. "I want to," she shrugged.

"He was my best friend, we kinda grew up together before I met the girls. I was the one that kinda led him to Christina which I don't even know if they're still together. Before I got into high school, we just drifted. He bailed and left town and now he's suddenly back and I don't know, it's just all weird," she explained.

"Did he ever mention why he left?" Joel asked and she shook her head, no. "Maybe you guys should talk. I mean he's your best friend," he shrugged.

"I don't know if I want to," she mumbled. "I mean there's just so much going on right now and I just wanna throw a bloody bomb at the Andres siblings and Sebastian," she added and Joel chuckled.

"I agree with the last part," he nodded. "What can we do about Liv?" she asked, her tone filled with more sadness this time.

"I'm not gonna lie to you, I don't know. But let's just hope for the best," he said honestly.

✾✾✾

"Is there really nothing we can do?" Zach asked. "Maybe we can find Gabbie, maybe she could help?" Jack suggested.

The five boys were in their home now, still discussing on what they could do to help.

"Let's try and find her tomorrow then," Daniel said. "No need, Christina knows where she is," Corbyn said to them. "Since when were you two still in contact?" Jonah asked.

"Didn't y'all break up?" Jack asked. "No, we just took a break for a while. We're okay," Corbyn shrugged.

"Okay then, it's set. We'll meet up with Christina tomorrow and she'll take us to Gabbie," Jonah concluded and they all agreed.

───── ❝ 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞, 𝐚𝐝𝐢 ❞ ─────

okay imma leave this here

didn't proofread ✌

idrk what to say bye