[16.2]

i walked into class, late as usual, and heads turned to face me as i opened the door.

     "brendon! it's nice of you to join us. we just partnered up to do some work. fortunately, there's someone who still needs a partner." ms. lavigne grinned as she motioned to the back corner of the class. sitting there was a thin boy wearing a black hoodie, staring at his desk.

     fuck.

     "you're alright with working with him, right?" ms. lavigne asked. i stared for a moment.

i wanted to say no and do the work by myself, but i also knew that working with ryan could possibly give me a chance to talk about what happened.

"uh, yeah. it's alright." i nodded before walking over to him.

i hesitated before i slowly sat down in the seat next to him. ryan appeared to not even notice. i looked at him as i bounced my foot up and down before clearing my throat and tapping on his shoulder. ryan flinched slightly before he turned to face me.

his face slightly paled at the sight of me before he quickly looked back down and quietly handed me a paper.

we sat in silence for a while as ryan managed to do most of his work.

"hi ryan," i said. ryan's eyes flickered towards me for a second before going back to his work. i watched him try to focus on the task in front of him. "so, uh, could we talk?"

"just do the work, brendon," he replied coldly. my heart sunk and i rested my head in my palm, looking down at my paper.

"um, how—"

     "it says on the board." ryan didn't even look up. he kept his gaze settled on the sheet of paper. i continued to look at him for a bit before letting out a sigh.

     "look, ryan, i'm sorry—"

     "sorry for what? sorry for telling me that nothing was going on between you and dallon despite you two making out and shit?" ryan finally looked at me. his eyes were narrow and his voice wavered slightly.

     "can you please let me explain—"

     "just do your part of the work, brendon. i don't care."

     i opened my mouth to respond, but quickly shut it. he wouldn't listen, even if i tried hard enough.

     it's funny how kissing caused two fall outs between the two of us. how long would it last this time?