Epilogue

5.7.2024; Laura

As soon as I pressed end stream, Maihua appeared in the doorframe of my office. I smiled at her as I slipped my headset off and started shutting everything off.

"Wanna go watch the stars?" she asked, but before I could nod in agreement she was already pulling me up by my hand. To be fair I would never decline stargazing.

She pulled one of her jackets over my shoulders before taking another one for herself. She lead me to our car, that we bought together a week or so ago, and opened the door for me. As soon as she sat down in the drivers seat, she took a deep breath but smiled at me right after.

She drove to a spot I found a while ago and showed her. We started calling it 'our spot' as it was where we usually went to have some alone time.

I got out of the car and was completely ready to just sit down in the grass but she stopped me and placed a blanket down. While I sat down she grabbed something else from the car.

She brought a basket over, probably full of food. My assumption was confirmed when she placed it down and started loading everything out of it onto the blanket. I didn't even notice tha small remote in her hand until soft LED's started illuminating the small area with a soft pink light.

"Prepared much?" I chuckled, looking at the toast's, that still seemed to be warm, strawberries and blueberries, placed in small containers, a few bottles of different drinks and the champagne that sat in the corner.

She nodded in response.

"The lights are only on so we can see what we're eating, we'll turn them off later so we can watch the stars." I smiled and nodded.

We both dug into our food. We talked about anything we could think off, just like we usually did when we went on picnics. I started realizing that this was actually different to other times. We'd come here to stargaze and we would have food but always less than this. We definitely never had lights and we never had champagne either.

I smiled at that thought and as if she read my mind she stood up. I stood up too, giving her a cofnused look. With a wide smile she pulled me to the side of the blanket. I noticed her hands were shaking.

She pulled me in and kissed me for a second before taking a step back. It took me a few seconds to realize she was getting on one knee. As soon as I did though, I threw my hands over my mouth, my eyes were wide and happy tears threatened to escape.

"Laura, I actually had something prepared but it feels more right to just tell you from heart, not from a piece of paper. You've made me so happy in these four years, and I know it's not just the fact that you're the only one who didn't use me. You're like the one light in my life I know I can always follow to safety. The only soul that understands my soul. I'd be lying if I said I didn't hope we'd end up here when we first met. With that, will you do me the honour of becoming my wife?"

I cried out a loud "yes" immediately throwing myself into her arms. I felt like I was floating. I'd imagined this moment so many times when I was younger, this definitely went beyond those expectations.

We parted away, she slipped a silver ring with a blue crystal on my ring finger. I admired it in the lights that had turned white a few seconds ago.

A wide smile took place on my face for the rest of the night.

—— THE END ——