Chapter 39

The class had been walking for five minutes already when Mr. and Mrs. Lee suddenly came to realize that all of them had forgotten their luggage.

So, everyone had to rush back to unload their whole baggage.
Clearly, the supervising teachers had not thought this camping trip through enough, heaving tons of luggage around the woods to find a good picnic spot definetely wasn't something everyone, no, anyone enjoyed.

And on they went, many students out of breath quickly since this particular action was definetely messing with their energy and they swore they could hear their tummies burst with hunger slowly.

Taehyung had it especially hard, only minutes after carrying around his heavy trunk, he could feel himself panting and sweat forming on his forehead.
Obstacles like pebbles or little twigs in the middle of the path made his journey even harder.

Jungkook, who walked right next to him, not excessively suffering, looked at him with a concerned face.
"Need some help with that? We could switch our suitcases, mine's much lighter than yours."
Taehyung shook his head, not wanting to appear as a damsel in distress.

"No... it's okay-- Ouch!," he screeched, his feet tumbling over each other due to a small rock in his way and him landing on his knees with a harsh impact, the handle of his suitcase slamming into his lower back.

This is what happens when you don't pay attention to where you're going, Taehyung!
His shoelaces had untied themselves and his knees probably had bruises on them. He hissed in pain, cupping his knees.

"Taehyung!" The ravenette immediately abandoned his own suitcase and went down on one knee to take care of the older boy. He took the brunette's hands and caressed them softly, with his thumb.
"Are you okay? Are you bleeding?"

"F-Fine. Maybe we should switch suitcases after all...," Taehyung whispered, making him smile slightly.
"Of course. See, you should always listen to me!"

Still holding the brunette's hands, Jungkook lifted himself into a squatting position.
"Can you walk? Or should I tell Mr. Lee to let us take a break?" Taehyung shook his head, experiencing an inner turmoil in combination with his heart fluttering.

"I just scraped my knees, I didn't break them. I'll be fine. B-But thanks, for being... concerned." He lifted himself up again, a bit unskillfully, internally groaning as he saw that his shoelaces were untied.

Without any further words, Jungkook lowered himself again, his hands tying Taehyung's shoelaces quite adeptly.
The older boy just watched him with wide eyes, feeling his face heat up and his brain ask him one single question over and over.

Am I in a romance movie or something? Why is he being so sweet to me? Stop!

There was an indescribable tension in the air, both of them holding their breaths as Jungkook tied his shoelaces slowly on purpose and Taehyung just watched him, completely mesmerized by the way he was taking care of him. Normally, the brunette didn't like people trying to help him constantly, it made him feel like a helpless child. But somehow, Jungkook was different. He actually wanted to receive the younger's help.

As soon as he was done, the ravenette lifted himself and held out his hand to help Taehyung up.
"All done. Let's switch suitcases now, we're kind of behind. And tell me when it hurts." The older nodded.

And on and on they went.

For Jungkook personally, the other boy's suitcase wasn't that hard to carry. Significantly heavier than his own but not something he was struggling to handle.
But maybe this was just his abnormal strength talking.