Chapter 41

At first, the night wasn't all too bad.

Setting up the tent with Jungkook's help worked pretty conveniently, they were probably much quicker than the brunette would have been with Jimin and Hoseok.

So, for many minutes, they were just laying in the dark tent while checking their Social Media and exploring the Internet. The tension was quite awkward since both of the boys obviously had feelings for each other, Taehyung only having realized his feelings for the younger boy recently and Jungkook having worked hard to win the other's heart ever since the first time he saw him.

The problem? Both of them were completely oblivious to each other's feelings. Dense, really.

The brunette did not notice how Jungkook not-so-subtly gazed at him practically every minute.
And Jungkook did not notice the way the brunette softly smiled every time he realized they were actually sharing tents. It wasn't a dream.

When the time passed half past ten PM, the boys suddenly sensed something.
Sounds, on top of their tent.

At first, they were alarmed and thought a wild animal was coming out to attack them, but then they realized how wrong they were.
The sounds were produced by nothing but raindrops splattering on their tent, something completely normal.

Taehyung couldn't help but feel a tiny bit apprehensive, though. Storms were his biggest fear and heavy rainfall was a massive trigger, as he had seen nothing in the weather forecast he felt anxiety bubble up in his stomach. How bad was it going to be?

He turned off his phone and did what he always did, play with his fingers to distract himself.

He bit his lip in discomfort as he heard the rain fall heavier and heavier, shutting his eyelids close and trying to calm his racing heart down.
It's going to be over soon, he told himself.

But it wasn't.

It didn't take long for Jungkook to sense that his tent partner wasn't feeling all too great and to recall that Taehyung had listed storms as his biggest fear, him immediately scooting closer and touching his arm as gently as possible.
"You don't like storms, right? Are you scared? Do you want me to hold your hand?," he asked worriedly.

"No. It's okay," the brunette wanted to say but failed to do so as he heard the low growl of the first thunder fill his ears, he flinched and moved closer towards the raven-haired boy while visibly panicking, their shoulders now touching.

Not knowing what to do as he was much more vulnerable than usual with nothing but the tent blocking the emerging storm, he grabbed Jungkook's arm and clung to it, needing something to assure himself safety.
The aforementioned gasped, using his free hand to comb his fingers through the brunette's hair in attempt to comfort him.

"Shit. Don't be scared, please, it's just a little thunder. You're gonna get through this, alright?," he mumbled, stroking Taehyung's cheek with his index finger. He felt his heart sink to the bottom of the pit; he didn't know the other's fear would be this bad.

The next few minutes were silent, Taehyung visibly calming down as no more thunder could be heard but it was only a short-lived victory. Next thing they knew, they heard the grumble of the next thunder, much louder than before.

Every part of the brunette's body was under stress- the feeling of fear ultimately taking over and making him act out of reflex: hug the thing closest to him. In this case, it was Jungkook.

As the ravenette felt the boy hug his neck tightly, his face buried deep inside his shoulder, he widened his eyes as he felt his whole body tremble.
"Taehyung- please. You're safe with me, I'm here for you. Okay? Please talk to me." He rubbed circles into the older's lower back, trying to shush him as he was breathing frantically.