Thirty-Three

A couple hours later

Dave
I woke up to Hazel feeling my forehead she smiled at me and I returned the smile.

"How you feeling baby?"

"Okay."

"Mama Faye told me what Dr. Thomas said."

"Yep stomach flu."

"And for you to get plenty of rest, drink fluids and not eat anything solid until it passes."

"I know."

"Hey daddy," Kaia spoke as she stood at the door.

"Hey babygirl."

"How you feeling?"

"Okay."

"Okay I was just checking in on you."

"Thanks babygirl."

"You're welcome."

Kaia walked away and Hazel stood up and walked into the closet and I slowly got up and followed behind her.

"How did the meeting go between Kairi and Millie?"

"Not good."

"What happened?"

"She didn't show."

"Are you serious?"

"Yeah I had dropped Kairi off and told her that I was going to drive around until they finished talking."

"Did Kairi try calling her?"

"Yeah but she didn't answer."

The doorbell rung we heard Kairi yell and say that she had it.

"Is she even in town?"

"Yeah she told Kairi that her flight landed early this morning and that she'll be at the restaurant to see her."

Before I could respond we heard Kairi scream I ran out of the room with Hazel right behind me when I made it to the foyer I saw an officer holding Kairi.

"Are you David Brewster Jr.," the other officer asked.

"Yes."

"I'm officer Mack and this my partner officer Reed."

"Okay what's going on?"

"M-my," Kairi shook her head and cried harder.

Hazel walked over to the officer and Kairi and held Kairi in her arms.

"I'm sorry Mr. Brewster."

"Sorry for what?"

"Milagrito Colon passed away earlier today."

"How?"

"A tanker flipped and caught on fire and exploded killing several other people."

Damn.

"Here's her ashes Mr. Brewster," officer Reed spoke.

He handed me the urn of ashes.

"Thank you officers."

"You're welcome it took us a while to identify her and find her next to kin contact here in Atlanta."

I nodded.

"We'll keep your family in our prayers."

"Thanks officers."

They both nodded and walked away I closed the door Kairi let go of Hazel and ran upstairs slamming her door.