Part four

She sat by the water with him, the pale blonde Slytherin boy Draco Malfoy. Time seemed to pass them by slowly as soft waves made the water in the lake move ever so slightly. For once he wasn't as mean as he usually is, and she was just waiting for the insults to start up once again but they didn't.

"Where's your friends by the way?" she asked him, glancing around them.

"I could ask you the same thing"

"My friends? Well, Harry is having a hard day so Ron's keeping an eye on him and Hermione... well she's studying, Katie and Ginny went to Hogsmeade with Seamus, Neville and Dean so"

"Hard day of being famous for Potter?" he asked, his voice coming off as harsh and unamused.

"No" she breathed, rolling her eyes towards the blonde boy "it's all hallow's eve"

"Yes? And?"

"It's the day he lost his parents, it's the day you know who murdered them" she pointed out, feeling her heart sink "so given, he's grieving in his dorm"

"Oh" Malfoy said, looking away "I didn't know, or well I did know I guess, I mean everyone knows, but I forgot that it's today"

"Yeah well... we can only be grateful that we have both our parents alive and well"

"I suppose so" he mumbled, swallowing hard.

He sat silent after that, glancing between her and the lake once again. She sighed, relaxing more as she listened to the soft waves and birds chirping as they flew from tree to tree around them.

"Hey Malfoy?" she asked after a while.

"Yes?"

"I heard you made the Quidditch team again this year"

"Yes" he said, peering over at her with a pleased smirk upon his lips "I'm the Slytherin seeker this year too, fourth year in a row"

"Good for you" she said, giving him a small smile "try and not fall off your broom in the future"

Her words made him laugh, and she watched as he shook his head. A amused smile crept upon her lips.

"I'll try, but that concussion? That wasn't my fault, some wavering third year idiot from Ravenclaw knocked me off, it was quite annoying"

"I can imagine"

"You're not into Quidditch?" he asked.

"No" she laughed, shaking her head vigorously "I've seen way too many injuries during my two years at the infirmary to be into Quidditch"

He laughed, scratching his chin as he glanced over at her.

"It's quite admirable you know, that you're working in the infirmary" he said calmly "you know that's great I mean, good on you"

"Thanks I guess?" she spoke, putting her hands in her pockets.

They sat in silence for a moment more before she pulled the sleeve of her wool jacket up, revealing a small watch on her wrist. She checked the time before she looked up at the blonde boy sitting next to her.

"We should probably head back to the castle, the halloween feast is starting soon"

"What time is it?" he asked, gazing at her with his icy grey eyes. In this light they almost looked a little blue.

"A quarter past four"

"Alright yes" he mumbled, standing up "we should head back"

He stuck out his hand for her, and she looked at it for a moment before she hesitantly grabbed it, pulling herself up from the dry grass. She brushed her corduroy pants and wool jacket off before she began walking back to the large stone castle. He walked next to her in silence before they reached the gates of the school.