Part fortyfive

He taught her patience, and she taught him love.

Around her neck hung her engagement ring, next to the heart pendant on the thin silver necklace he had given her last Christmas. No one knew and no one saw, but feeling the silver ring in between her collarbones was enough for her.

She was only seventeen, and so was he. Most people would call it madness, she was sure. But what a thrilling delightful madness it was to promise to one day marry the one you hold closest to your heart.

She would've never thought of herself as a girl who gets engaged at the mare age of seventeen, not when she was still in school, for she has her whole life to get engaged and married. However these were different circumstances, for she did not know if her or the boy she loved would have all their lives to live. There was a war upon them, filled with darkness and destruction, and it had it's headquarters in his childhood home.

She didn't want to die not being his fully, she did not want him to fade away with the distant memory of the mark upon his left arm.

Christmas came and went. Her family gathered, and to them everything was the same as the year before, but for her everything was different. No one in her family understood what was upon the witches and the wizards hiding amongst them, not even her mother and father. Rebecka hardly spoke of it, maybe she was trying to push the truth away.

Her holiday was filled with snowy days, delicious food and sweets. Snowmen and frosty lanterns decorated every yard on her street and drinks flowed between heartfelt laughter and loud chatter. She spent many hours in front of the television watching old black and white movies with a cup of hot chocolate in her hand. Her whole family snuggled up next to her, and their two cats Billy and Quentin laid on her lap as she stroked their furry backs.

For a moment everything felt blissful.

Her mind wandered to him every day, and she wondered if he was alright. She wondered what he was doing, and if he got to celebrate a normal Christmas with all the chaos taking place in his house. She hoped he wasn't feeling lonely, and she wished she could hold him.

One night before New Year's Eve she looked out of her window at the starry night sky and she couldn't help but wonder if he was also awake in Wiltshire, gazing upon the same stars.

Another night she woke up to a crackling noise by her bed, confused and slightly terrified she quickly scrambled to turn on her lamp on her nightstand. There he was, dressed in black with his bright eyes piercing through the dark.

"Draco?" she asked confused, sitting up to look at him as he stood by her bedside "what are you doing here? It's the middle of the night, how did you get here?"

"I apparated" he simply stated, looking at her as a smile spread across his pale face "I had to see you, my fiancé"

She squealed as she jumped out of her bed and into his arms. He caught her as he almost stumbled back, wrapping his arms around her back and nuzzling his face into her neck.

"I missed you" she mumbled.

"I missed you too my darling"

"But you scared the hell out of me" she said, pulling away to look at him.

"I'm so sorry, I should've thought about that" he mumbled, a quiet laugh escaping his lips "but it wasn't like I could warn you"