Part fiftythree

Some stars happen to shine brightly even in the darkest of times.

Draco let go of her face and hurried up the stairs, leaving her standing alone by the cold bars. She gathered herself before she turned back around to her friends, for she did not want to cry in front of them. She had told him to be strong and to be brave, so she needed to do the same.

"What was that all about?" Ron asked as she stepped into the shadows once more.

Both Ron and Harry was looking at her with furrowed eyebrows, but Hermione stepped back and let a laugh escape her lips. Luna was walking around, kicking something on the ground around with her shoe and the old man, which she recognized to be mr Ollivander from the wand shop in Diagon Alley, sat on the floor hunched over. The goblin didn't even look at them.

"Hermione what?" Ron asked confused as he turned to look at her "why on earth are you laughing?"

"I can't believe I didn't figure it out sooner" Hermione said, brushing her hair out of her face "I should've figured it out a long time ago"

"What are you on about?" Ron asked, still looking confused "Harry what is she talking about?"

Harry who stood behind the red haired boy looked just as puzzled.

"I have no idea Ron" Harry shrugged, still looking at Hermione.

"The sneaking off, the notes and Harry told us about the map... you and Malfoy"

"Her and Malfoy?" Ron asked, raising his voice "wait stop what do you mean her and Malfoy?"

Another laugh escaped Hermione's pink lips as she turned to Ellie.

"By the gods, you're in love him... aren't you?"

"Uhm I..." she trailed, taking a step back. Never before had she been confronted with her feelings for the broken boy, and she did not know what to say.

"No" Ron laughed unamused, taking a step forward "no way, no way... there's no way, bloody hell Hermione"

Hermione looked at her, raising her eyebrows as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"Am I wrong?"

"Yes absolutely you're wrong Hermione" Ron said quickly, looking between Hermione and her "right Ellie, she's wrong? She's out of her mind, you can't possibly like Malfoy, not after all he's done to us"

"Uhm look I-I... it's complicated" she said quietly.

"Hell no, it's not complicated Ellie, the guy's a prick" Ron gasped, dragging Harry closer to him "he's belittled us for years, calling Hermione that awful word, picking fights and he has us locked in his god damn cellar"

"That's not his fault" she pointed out.

"Everything is his fault!" Ron yelled, clearly getting worked up.

"Calm yourself Ronald" Hermione said, stepping in between them.

Ron sighed as he turned away, holding onto Harry's arm. Harry looked baffled, and slightly worried as he took a step closer to her.

"Ellie he's a death eater, it's Malfoy... he's with them" Harry said.

"I know" she breathed, turning her head to look away "I know that, but you don't understand..."

"We don't understand? We don't understand Ellie?" Ron turned around and questioned loudly.

"Ronald" Hermione spat at him, urging the red haired boy to calm down "then tell us Ellie"