Part thirtynine

June was upon them, with it's clear skies and chirping birds. Summer was not far away, and the longing for warmer days could be felt around the castle. Young students played outside, and the stone corridors didn't feel as chilly as before. The sunlight lit up the dust on the tall bookshelves in the library, and the boys dormitory in the dungeons were finally starting to warm up.

He laid underneath his knitted blanket one faithful evening, staring at the dark ceiling. His life felt like a train wreck, and every decision he made seemed to lead him further and further towards a place where he did not want to be. He brought the blanket up to his nose, inhaling the faint scent of her that was still left lingering in between the threads of yarn.

What had his life come to be? He was a weapon of destruction.

With trembling feet he got out of bed, in fear of what he had become, in fear of what he was about to do. For fear knew no remedy for him, there was no leniency and grace for him.

On the other end of the castle Harry was absent from his four poster bed, and she laid awake, tossing and turning as Hermione lightly snored. Something was bothering her, making her head spin. She could not manage to fall asleep, for she felt something coursing through her veins... fear, it felt like fear.

She got up, quietly getting dressed in the dark before she snuck out, wandering the corridors as she made her way towards the dungeons. She had this feeling brewing inside of her, like Draco needed her. She did not make it very far though, for at the staircases she saw the pale boy, dressed in his all black suit, walking in the direction of the astronomy tower. She quietly followed him, observing his moves. She wanted to call out his name, for she was certain that he was heading up there to stargaze like he often does, but something stopped her. He looked concentrated, and she felt her words get stuck in the back of her throat.

As she got closer to the astronomy tower she saw Harry and professor Dumbledore at the top. 

"We need to get you to the hospital wing sir, to madam Pomfrey" Harry said hurriedly, holding the old professor up.

"No" professor Dumbledore whimpered, trying to steady his voice "Severus, Severus is who I need, wake him, tell him what happened, speak to no one else"

She took hiding behind a old cabinet, peering out at them. She needed to stop Draco from going up there, for she did not want him to get caught out of bed, she did not want him to get into trouble for not being able to sleep.

She watched as professor Dumbledore sat down, holding onto Harry with shaky hands. Harry looked at the old professor with worried eyes, and the moonlight lit up the floor.

"Severus Harry" 

Harry nodded his head and started to walk off. She slid in further behind the cabinet, looking for Draco. A noise was heard, making her jump slightly. Professor Dumbledore stood up slowly, and Harry stopped in his tracks. 

"Hide yourself below Harry" professor Dumbledore spoke "don't speak or be seen by anybody without my permission, whatever happens it can perrish if you stay below"

Another noise was heard, it sounded like a heavy wooden door shutting. It made her look up, and she saw the pale boy entering, his eyes hollow and his jaw clenched.

"Draco" she whispered, poking her head out from her hiding place.

"Ellie?" he asked as he stopped abruptly, looking at her with frightened eyes "what are you doing here?"

"I saw you out in the hallways, I wanted to make sure that you're alright"

"I-I'm n-not Ellie" he stammered, cupping her cheeks with his pale hands "you can't be here, you have to go"

"Why? What is going on?"

"Ellie you have to go" he pleaded, looking at her with his grey eyes "please go back to your dorm, now Ellie"

He pressed a kiss to her lips before he let go of her face and began to walk off.

"Draco" she said, jumping out from behind the cabinet to grab onto his arm "you can't go up there, professor Dumbledore is there, you will get caught out of bed"

"That's the least of my worries" he croaked, stroking her cheek. 

She glanced up to see Harry look at professor Dumbledore with uncertainty in his eyes.
"Harry do as I say, trust me" professor Dumbledore spoke "trust me"

Harry began to walk off, coming down the stairs. Draco hurriedly pushed her behind the cabinet once more, holding onto her shoulders.

"Please Ellie" he pleaded as he looked at her with terror in his eyes "you have to go, you don't want to see this, please go, I have to do this"

"Do what?" she asked confused, gazing at Draco's tormented eyes.

"I can't talk about this now Ellie, there's no time, go" he said, his voice breaking slightly. He saw Harry coming closer, so he pushed her behind the old cabinet once more, holding her face in a firm grip as he kissed her.

"Draco" 

"I have to go, please go back to your dorm Ellie"

The next second he was gone, and she was left behind the cabinet in a whirl of bewilderment and uneasiness. She saw Harry hiding a few meters away from her, and she suddenly saw Draco walking up the stairs to the top of the astronomy tower. She wanted to listen to what he had begged of her, but her whole body seemed to be frozen. She could not seem to make herself move to leave for her dorm.

"Good evening Draco" she heard professor Dumbledore speak calmly "what brings you here on this fine, spring evening?"