Part twentysix

September turned into October and she walked into the All Hallow's Eve feast in the great hall alongside her friends, laughing and adoring the large pumpkins that Hagrid had brought into the castle. She caught a glimpse of Draco sitting at the Slytherin table, picking at his food alongside Blaise, Pansy, Crabbe and Goyle.

She stuffed her face with all kinds of delicious food, and Hermione laughed as she drank a sip of her pumpkin juice. After dessert they headed back to the Gryffindor common room, feeling well fed and tired. Even Harry, who usually just stays in his dorm during the day, losing himself in grief, seemed to be in quite a good mood.

November started and no snow had fallen, but it was however turning colder and colder. She had unpacked her scarlet and golden Gryffindor scarf and she wore it wrapped tightly around her neck as she headed out of her last class of the day alongside Hermione, Ron and Harry.

"You seem distracted Harry, what's wrong?" Hermione asked, looking at the brown haired boy.

"I just have a lot of things on my mind, it's fine though Hermione, I'm alright"

Hermione nodded as Draco passed them, walking quickly with Blaise by his side.

"He doesn't seem to be himself lately either" Hermione said once he was gone.

"What do you mean?" she asked.

"Malfoy you mean?" Ron added.

"Yes, there's been no taunting, no mocking and I haven't heard him call anyone a foul name in weeks" Hermione said "and have you seen him? He looks ill"

"Ill?" Ron questioned.

Hermione opened her mouth to continue her sentence but Ellie quickly interrupted her, as she had been slowly noticing the same sickly traits grow on the Slytherin boy.

"He looks gaunt, and he is very pale, he has always been pale but now.. it's like his skin almost looks grey"

"Yes exactly" Hermione said, nodding her head "and he looks like he hasn't been sleeping for weeks, have you noticed?"

"I suppose that's what evil does to you" Ron shrugged as they turned a corner "maybe he's finally had enough, I would say he's getting what he deserves"

The thought of Draco's sickly pale skin and lilac tinted bags underneath his eyes made a strong feeling of sadness grow in the pit of her stomach, and she couldn't help but somehow blame herself for his rapid deterioration. But healing was her forte, so if he was actually ill then maybe there was a way for her to help him.

"There's something else going on" Harry muttered "I think he's up to something"

"Oh please Harry" she snapped at him "he's not a death eater"

Hermione and Ron seemed to agree with her, pointing out to Harry that there was no actual evidence for Draco having joined the dark side. Hermione found it highly unlikely as she thought he who must not be named must not be happy with the Malfoy's at the moment seeing as Lucius both failed to deliver the prophecy and got himself sent to Azkaban. Ron just found it unlikely based upon Draco being a coward hiding behind his father and his wealth, and with his father gone he probably wasn't as quick to misbehave.

....

The next day after her last class had ended, she went looking for him, once again finding him leaving the seventh floor of the Hogwarts castle.

"I find you here once more, what are you doing? Restarting Dumbledore's Army in the room of requirements?"

"N-no" he stuttered, looking at her with concerned eyes "of course not"