Part forty

Nothing would ever be the same.

Harry stumbled back, shock and sorrow evident in his eyes. Draco looked mortified, and she leaned against the stone wall unable to watch another second. The headmaster of Hogwarts, her beloved school, had fallen.

The group of death eaters whisked Draco away, pulling him with them by his neck. Bellatrix let out a almost satanic laugh as she lifted her crooked wand and blasted the dark mark into the cloudy sky.

She heard the group rushing down the stairs, and she stayed hidden behind the cabinet. She did not see Harry, he must've hidden himself in the shadows.

The footsteps faded and suddenly a agonizing silence fell upon the tower. It swallowed her like a void, making her heart feel heavier than ever before.

The boy she loved disappeared, walking away with scared eyes.

Tears rolled down her cold cheeks, and her legs felt wobbly. She could not hear Harry, so she suspected that he had already left. After what felt like an eternity, she got up on her feet, slowly walking down the stone stairs of the school.

Out on the grounds students from all four houses were gathered around their headmaster. Sadness was laced upon every face, and the heaviness of great loss hung in the air. Harry sat by his side, a single tear rolling down his cheek. She watched as he placed a hand on professor Dumbledore's chest, and Ginny emerged from the crowd, walking towards him.

She stood next to professor McGonagall, who had a look of disbelief upon her aging face. Ginny held Harry, and tears fell from Hermione's eyes. Professor McGonagall raised her wand up, shooting a beam of bright light right up into the dark mark that coated the sky. After her followed every teary eyed professor and student, and soon the dark mark could no longer be seen. Instead the sky lit up like the early day, bringing light and peace in memory of Albus Dumbledore.

Harry soon rushed off as the professors were urging the students to go back to their dormitories. She walked next to Dean, who looked beyond sad, as she looked for her friends. She looked for him, the pale boy, but he was nowhere to be seen.

She didn't know how she would possibly get over this. The mark on Draco's arm had been one thing, but now he had acted on it. He had let the darkness inside of him take over.  

A dreadful silence filled the Gryffindor common room. Nobody seemed to be able to go back to sleep and the dark clouds outside of the tall windows felt heavier than ever before. Students were hugging, sitting closely to the fireplace as tears rolled down their cheeks. A unsure future laid before them.

....

Darkness.

She awoke the next day to find out that all students will be sent home, and she made sure that her sister was alright before she made her way out of the castle. She needed some time alone, and she never wanted to go back to the astronomy tower for it would always remind her of Draco's heinous actions. Instead she walked down to the black lake. She just needed a quiet moment to gather her thoughts.

The path by the lake was empty, and clouds coated the sky. It felt like it would start to rain at any given moment, and as she sat down by the edge of the water she felt the cold breeze hit her cheeks. 

Memories of him by the lake came flooding back as she threw a small stone into the dark water. She could almost see his pale face before her, the worry and adoration in his grey eyes and the pleased smirk upon his lips. For a moment she thought she heard his assertive voice whispering in her ear, but it must've only been the wind.

"Oh Draco what have you done?" she asked herself quietly, staring at the horizon as tears welled up in the corners of her eyes. Her heart felt heavy, and the simple act of breathing had felt complicated ever since last night.