Part twentyseven

Dear Ellie,
I read your letter, the second one. I appreciate you writing to me, I really do, and I am trying to find the courage to write back to you. I just don't know what to say.
So much is different now, things have changed for the worse and I fear that you wouldn't understand. No one could possibly understand. I need you to know that for what it's worth, you gave me peace. You gave me many moments of pure peace and quiet, moments with a total calmness. However I wasted it. I am not proficient in the slightest when it comes to speaking my mind, but I am trying to find a way to admit that you were just what I needed, you still are. You are my medicine to my ill mind.
I want to thank you for the happiest school year of my life so far, meeting you has been a experience like none other, and you have granted me my first kiss ever, which has been magical. I am sorry that I'm not replying to you, I truly am but I am just too afraid at the moment. For you I want to surrender, but I can't. However I am writing back, and I'll let you know soon enough.
I wish you a fantastic summer my darling.
Yours,
Draco Malfoy

She had been unsuccessful in finding him, so instead she had gone back to her dorm to lay down in her bed. She couldn't resist reading Draco's second letter. It was short, and filled with cryptic messages but yet, sweet and rather honest. She could not understand why all Ron could see when he looked at the blonde boy was darkness and malignity. She could see so many other sides to him, the purer sides, the light and the happiness.

The following day she went with Hermione, Ron and Harry to Hogsmeade. The snow had began to fall, coating the small village with a fluffy layer of pure white.

"Anyone fancying a butterbeer?" Ron asked as they walked closer to the three broomsticks.

"Sure" Hermione laughed.

The four of them entered the small pub and they sat down at a wooden table after ordering their drinks. She took a sip of her butterbeer as Harry's eyes wandered across the room. As she looked in his direction she saw Draco, dressed in all black, slipping into a room and closing the wooden door behind him. She managed to catch a glimpse of his pale face, and he looked distraught and almost slightly concerned.

"Oh bloody hell" Ron suddenly groaned, catching her attention.

"Honestly Ronald they're only holding hands" Hermione sighed as she looked between him and Ginny who was sitting at a table with Dean Thomas "and snogging"

"I'd like to leave" Ron said, looking at the group.

"What?" Hermione questioned, leaning forward "you can't be serious"

"That happens to be my sister" Ron bursted out.

"So?" Hermione questioned "what if she looked over here when you were snogging me? would you expect her to get up and leave?"

She took another sip of her butterbeer as she looked at Harry, who was also sitting quietly listening to Ron and Hermione banter. Suddenly professor Slughorn walked over, interrupting the very weird conversation that had been going on. Harry gave him a smile and a wave as he got up to shake his hand.

"Hey my boy" the old man said, smiling at Harry.

"Oh so wonderful to see you" Harry said.

She took another sip as Harry stood up, talking to their potions professor. Ron and Hermione looked at each other weirdly and she couldn't help but laugh quietly to herself.

"Listen my boy" she heard professor Slughorn say to Harry "in the old days I used to throw together the occasional supper party, select a student or two, would you want to come?"