Part fiftyseven

Everything fell to their feet as they ran down the stairs, ruins of what once was laid before them. For the night was so very dark, and hope seemed to have been lost between the walls of the crumbling castle.

They split up. Harry, Ron and Hermione went one way and her, Draco and Blaise went another way.

Dark shadows lingered on the school yard, and beams of light from spells being cast lit up the dark sky. She ducked and she jumped, and he pushed her behind a large stone piece to protect her. Somewhere along their way they lost Blaise, she saw the Slytherin boy shield a younger Ravenclaw student before he took off in the other direction.

Trolls roamed the grounds, and dementors circulated the castle. Her ears ringed with the many mortified screams coming from the students as they watched loved ones die right before their eyes. He grabbed her arm and pulled her back once more, pushing her behind him as a death eater pointed his wand at him.

"I'm Draco Malfoy, I'm Draco!" he shouted desperately "I'm on your side!"

As they stood on the upper landing, pleading with the masked man, a beam of light passed them. Harry had stunned the death eater as they passed them by.

"And that's the second time we've saved your life tonight, you two-faced bastard!" Ron yelled before they took off.

She turned to Draco, trailing her fingertips along his busted lip.

"You're bleeding" she breathed.

"Don't worry about it Ellie, I'm fine" he assured her, grabbing her hand "we need to go"

They ran around corners, hand in hand. He was trying to find his parents, for he wanted to return his mother's wand, but they could not seem to find them. Draco was growing frustrated, obviously fearing the worst about his mother and father's fate.

Suddenly everything stopped, and they ducked down quickly. She covered her ears as a stinging voice was heard inside her mind. Draco held her, wrapping one arm around her shoulder and the other one around her head.

"You have fought valiantly, but in vain, I do not wish this, every drop of magical blood spilled is a terrible waste, I therefore command my forces to retreat, in their absence, dispose of your dead with dignity... Harry Potter I now speak directly to you, on this night you have allowed your friends to die for you rather than face me yourself, there is no greater dishonor, join me in the forbidden forest and confront your fate, if you do not do this I shall kill every last man, woman and child who tries to conceal you from me"

"He's going to die" she cried into Draco's shoulder "Harry is going to die, Voldemort will kill him"

"Ellie look at me" Draco said, pulling her up by her shoulders "Harry will get him, I believe he will, you have to believe too"

"I don't think I can"

"It's okay" he said, stroking her cheek "for once I didn't think I could believe too, but someone very important to me believed for me and it was enough to get me by... Ellie it doesn't matter if you can't believe right now, I have enough belief for the both of us"

He kissed her as everything around them felt oddly calm. The dark forces pulled back, and everyone began to carry the dead and wounded to the great hall. She walked there, holding onto Draco, and the sight of the ruins that once was a joyous dining hall broke her heart futher more.

"Ah miss Ember, I could do with your help please" madam Pomfrey said, rushing over to her.

"Of course" she nodded, feeling her voice going weak "of course yes"

As she began to walk off she felt Draco grab her hand and pull her back.

"Let me help, tell me what to do"