cold

the next day ;

it was a rainy day in california.

my eyes slowly drifted open to the sound of rain tapping against the large window. the curtains were still drawn from the night before, releasing dim light from the dark clouds into the room. the covers were thrown over my body as if I was tucked in by someone.

I was in the bed all alone.

I leaned myself on my elbows and placed my cheeks into the palms of my hands. the spot next to me was empty.

before sitting up completely I pushed my very messy hair behind my ears and made sure I looked somewhat presentable. I still had last nights makeup smeared over my face and spread across the pillow.

I tossed my legs off the bed and stood up straight. lukes baggy tshirt he had given me fell straight past my knees right on queue.

the apartment was cold. he must have had the air conditioning set high for the humidity.

my bare feet padded against the wooden floors and towards the white door. I placed a gentle hand on the door knob and slowly swung the door open to enter an empty hallway.

I had no clue where luke ran off too, but he must have woken up early. I made my way down the dark hallway and to the wooden steps. from the top I heard small conversation.

and it was lukes voice.

a smile creased on my face as I took small steps down. I tried my hardest to make no noise so that I could surprise him.

the conversation became more clear once I reached the bottom of the steps. it was coming from the kitchen.

I swallowed and slowly tranced down the hall. I leaned myself up against the arch that led to the kitchen, still being able to go unseen from luke and whomever he was talking to.

"well is she still asleep?" the voice was calum, thankfully.

"I think so," luke paused, "she was pretty tired last night."

calum let out a slight chuckle, "I just can't believe this."

"believe what?"

"I mean, you and jade, just casually sleeping in the same bed together." he teased around with luke.

"I don't see the big idea," luke spoke with the sound of a chair moving around, "it's not like we did anything."

"well I sure hope not," calum chuckled once more, "you've still got a girlfriend, you know."

silence came between the two. there was no response from luke for some time. I heard another chair be pulled out from kitchen as if the two of them were having breakfast together.

"I-i don't know what I have anymore." luke spoke with a shaky voice.

"huh?"

"olivia and I." he paused to swallow a drink, "I don't know what she wants and im afraid to find out."

"but luke, you do realize if things end with olivia we gotta get out here, it's back to australia." his tone of voice was now more serious.

luke let out a gentle sigh, "I know, I know. I don't know what to do."

"I can't leave claudia here, I just wouldn't be able to do that to her." calum also sighed.

"I-," he stuttered on his words, "I wouldn't be able to do that to jade either."

"what?" calum laughed to ease the tension, a little confused by what luke meant.

"I mean, we are pretty good friends. it would be hard to let that go." luke seemed to be hiding something.