heights

5:15 pm

I took him to the pier.

it was getting dark out and the sun was setting a orange and yellow tone. the clouds reflected off the sky so that they were somewhat pink.

luke and I walked side by side, passing some faces. since it was a weekday it wasn't too crowded on the pier. on the weekends it tends to get insane.

there was a slight breeze and since we were so close to the ocean, you could hear the ocean crash against the shore. you also heard the screams from people riding the rides, which caused us to laugh every now and then.

"the sky looks so pretty, I could get used to a view like this." I said with a slight laugh, gazing up into the colorful skyline.

"yeah," luke nodded in agreement, but wasn't looking at the sky, he was looking straight at me, "I could get used to it too."

I tore my eyes away from sky and they landed on him. I gave him a small smile and pushed my hair behind my ear. he looked at me with all that he had in him. as if he was trying to figure me out. I couldn't tell exactly what he was thinking.

I broke our gaze and looked straight forward, "have you ever been to the pier?"

"mhm," he paused and swallowed, "I used to come here with-"

I stopped him before he could say anymore, "that's nice."

I knew what was coming. he didn't need that name in his mouth anymore. in fact he didn't even need to consume his thoughts about her.

luke looked away from me and began to look around. in the distance you could see the famous pier Ferris wheel that was bigger than my future. claudia always used to beg me to ride it with her, but I never had the guts.

heights and myself did not get along.

luke lifted his hand in the air and pointed at the ride with his index finger, "you see that ride?" he asked me.

I knew what was coming. It was no good. I knew what he was about to ask.

I held my short breath, "mhmmm." I hummed nervously.

he licked his lips that formed into a smirk, "let's go on it."

he knew I didn't like heights. he was doing this to tease me. he was such a little boy.

my eyes widened as I shot my head over to him, "luke are you insane? you know how I get."

earlier that month luke tried to get me to hiking with calum and himself. obviously I could not handle that so I rejected the offer. that trip ended up being only claudia and calum.

he chuckled a deep laugh, "c'mon jade, you've got to get this fear out of your head." and then his excited hand gripped onto mine.

I looked down at our connected hands. they always seemed to find a way to be intertwined. no matter what we were doing they found their way back to each other.

the people around us would've thought we were dating or something. little did they know that we were just friends.

I then looked back up at luke, "it's too tall."

"im too tall." luke rolled his pretty blue eyes at me.

I couldn't help but laugh at this. I then let out a breath of air, taking his idea into mind. I wanted to make him happy and that would mean doing this.

"what if we get stuck?" I cringed at the thought of this, mindlessly gazing up at the ride in the distance.

"then we get stuck together." he gave my hand a tight squeeze.