Please Don't Go

Alex (Surprise, huh?)

Making our way back inside, Lena and I spotted Maggie, Kara, and Eliza on the couch, sipping on hot cocoa. Lena sat next to Kara, who immediately wrapped her free arm around the Luthor's waist. I smiled at the pair, plopping down on the sofa beside my fiancee, who kissed my cheek before shivering.

"Danvers, your cheek is hella freezing," Maggie laughed. I rolled my eyes, kissing her warm cheek. I heard Kara gagging from behind us, and a slap, most likely from Lena. Kara yelped.

Lena rolled her eyes, playfully shouting, "Hush, you can't even feel pain! If anything, my hand hurts from that!" Everyone began laughing, but this time it felt like home, especially with the newest addition to the family; Lena. 

Before Kara found Lena, it was awkward. Maggie would be at family gatherings with us, but yes, Kara loved Maggie. Of course, she did! They got along quite perfectly. Eliza loved Maggie. I loved Maggie. But Kara was lonely. I wanted her to find someone, I really did want her to find someone. And she did. She found her way to Lena and boom. It all clicked, and the family felt whole.

Well, ever since Dad died... it's been different. It brought us closer. At first, I couldn't believe that he died. I still don't. He's got to be out there somewhere, and we will bring him home. We just need time. I just need time.

Snapping me from my thoughts, my sister waved her hand in my face, and I heard Maggie whistling, and everyone was trying to get my attention. I shook my head, apologizing, "Sorry, I... zoned out."

Lena shook her head, "'Zoned out' isn't a good excuse. What's on your mind, Director?" I sighed, looking between my mother and sister.

"I was just," my eyebrows tensed as I began to think of a better excuse before deciding to tell the truth, no matter how hard it was to talk about Jerimiah. I continued, this time my voice hushed, "thinking about Dad."

Eliza's eyebrows furrowed and Kara tensed. Lena and Maggie sensed the tension in the room, and they both exchanged a look. Lena began to stand up to leave, but I saw Kara's hand on her wrist, muttering a single word, "Stay." Lena nodded, sitting back down. Maggie looked to me, and I nodded, saying the same word my sister had said.

Eliza took a deep breath, "He would be proud of you, girls... you've come so far." I sighed, standing up.

"No, Mom. Dad is alive. I know it. If he was dead, then we would have found his body. J'onn said he died. But I know he didn't... I just," taking a shaky breath, I ran my hands through my hair, all the while shaking my head, "forget it." I left the room and to the treehouse in the backyard, climbing the ladder.

From inside, I could hear yelling and arguments. I think it was Kara and Lena arguing. I shook my head, letting my head hit the wall as my back slid down the interior walls made of wood from the treehouse. My knees pressed against the chest and my arms wrapping around my knees, I felt a tear slide down my cheek.

I missed my father. It sounded like something a little kid would say, but I missed my dad. I had always, always, held onto that small glimmer of hope that maybe he hadn't died working at the DEO. Maybe, just maybe, he was alive and well. I wanted to bring him home. Just come home.

Hearing a knock on the door, I stood up. My voice strained, I answered, "Come in." Maggie stepped inside, and she just shook her head, holding her arms open.

"C'mere baby," I rushed into her arms, leaning down and hiding my face in her shoulder, crying into her shoulder. The material of her shirt was now damp and my cries had reduced to small sniffles and occasional hiccups. Her hand rubbed small soothing circles on the small of my back.