21

I wanted to rip my mother's skull open and rearrange her brain to make something work. I was standing outside the gates of some gloomy house, yes they made me come. I don't understand why, I'm practically a biological person in this family - no one gives a fuck.

"Coralina, will you stop looking so depressed for once and brighten up!" My mother exclaimed, my father, nodding beside her. My father has always been a background character in my life, never pays attention to anything I do.

I rolled my eyes at her before I thought, one more week and I'll be back home. I gave her a fake smile and stood up straight whilst my sister linked her arm through mine. 

The black, majestic doors opened and I could hear the music and chatter of rich people going on. I took in a deep breath before I walked in with my sister, following my parents inside.

As we walked in I was startled by my father's loud voice, "Ah! Lucius! Narcissa!" I looked around him to see a tall figure with striking blonde hair, accompanied by a gorgeous woman who was just the right height.

"Joseph! Klarissa! Pleasure to see you both, follow me," the man, who I believe to be is Lucius, beamed as he held his wife's hand and directed us to another room.

We walked into a room full of people either dancing or eating, half of them drunk off their asses. My sister and brother went off to get a drink, leaving me alone with my mother and father. 

"Klarissa!" I heard squeals, oddly familiar squeals, and turned around to see Mrs. Parkinson embracing my mother in a hug, her daughter right behind her.

"Darling, it's been too long," mother breathed, "And Pansy, dear, look at you," she gasped. 

"Oh, is that Coralina? You're finally back," Mrs. Parkinson beamed and I gave her a fake smile as she squeezed me to death. "Hello, Mrs. Parkinson," I politely greeted her.

Pansy gave me a short smile before walking over to me, we exchanged hugs knowing how long it been. "Coralina, you should go with Pansy. She'll keep you in check," mother exclaimed. I gave her a fake smile before I was dragged by Pansy across the room.

"I can't believe you're here, here!" Pansy chuckled as we got a drink off of the table. I rolled my eyes at her, "My grandmother died Pansy, I don't exactly have a choice."

She gave me a sympathetic look before pulling me into a hug, "I am sorry about that, y'know." I hugged her back, of course, I knew. This girl has looked out for me ever since we were kids.

Pansy and I have been close ever since I could remember, she's too good to me. I mean, she did keep my secret for the past four years which I was immensely thankful for. Despite being a bitch, she's my bitch and she's practically family to me.

I drank some of the drinks that were laid out on the table and choked on it, "Whose fucking house is this? You'd think the drinks would be any better than the interior," I groaned, leaning against the table as I wiped my mouth.

She parted her lips to speak but before she could I heard an awfully familiar voice. "Well, Vanderwal. This would be my house and that 'drink' would be champagne."

I turned around to see Malfoy standing behind me with a smirk plastered on his face. I looked back and forth between him and Pansy, Pansy who was just giving me a pitiful look.

"This is your house?" I choked. He nodded, pridefully, and I stared at him with wide eyes. I turned to face Pansy who was looking anywhere but my eyes, drinking her drink.

"Yes, Scott. Or should I say, Vanderwal?" His smirk grew wider and I shoved him back, making him stumble. "If you wanted to go to the bedroom all you had to do was ask, Vanderwal."

I placed the drink down and was ready to jump him before Pansy came in the middle of us, "Get lost, Draco." He looked me up and down before he leaned over Pansy's shoulder to speak to me.

"I've had my suspicions all along. I just wasn't smart enough to figure you out," he hummed, examining me. I glared at him, he turned around walked away.

As I was complaining to Pansy, my brother walked up to us, "Dinner is beginning, girls. Come on." I gave him a nod and walked with Pansy to the dining room, hopefully, dinner will go better.

---

Dinner was probably the longest thing I have ever sat through. I sat next to my mother, who was faking herself around to everyone in here. I received a lot of weird looks from people, mainly the women who were confused by my appearance.  I was thankful I didn't see anyone I knew from school besides the two Slytherins along with Ara.

After dinner was over, everyone proceeded into the ballroom yet again for drinks and dancing. I was walking behind my sister before I felt an arm grab me and pull me outside of the ballroom.

I turned around to see Malfoy with a smirk, raising my chin, " Vanderwal!" He began kissing me but I shoved him off me, leaving him clueless. "Don't call me that."

 I rolled my eyes when he didn't say anything and reached for the door handle to go back inside the ballroom. Before I could, he grabbed my wrist and began dragging me down the hallway, "Malfoy, get off!"

Dragging me for five minutes, he took me to the top floor where the roof was and I looked at him as if he was crazy. He grabbed my waist and lifted me up, placing me on the roof. "It's safe, don't worry," he said, calming me down.

I look up to see the breathtaking view, I was in awe. "It's beautiful here," I exclaimed, gawping at the scenery before me. I heard him chuckling, "You should see it during the day."

I sat down on one of the chairs, awkwardly, as I was at a loss for words. Thankfully he broke the silence, "Why do you tense up when I call you Vanderwal?" I stared at the ground, not knowing if I wanted to explain to him.

"I'm Klarissa and Joseph Vanderwal's youngest daughter," I blurted. 

I heard him snort, "No shit, genius. I mean, why do you get tensed though? And how is it that you and Parkinson are so close?" he asked, curiosity written all over his face.

"My parents were emotionally abusive. I was practically neglected from the family so my grandmother raised me and I changed my surname. Pansy's mum and mine have been friends since they attended school, I've grown up with Pansy since the start," I let out. 

He nodded. "You didn't tell your saint-like friends because...?" He dragged. I took in a deep breath, "I'm everything they hate. Well, my name...rich, prejudiced, Slytherin-like. My parents shamed me for being in Gryffindor, imagine being 11 and coming home only to have your family shun you even more because you're not a Slytherin."

He didn't say anything, except reaching for my hand to hold. He leaned over and pressed a soft kiss on my lips, I looked at him with my brows raised, "I'm sorry."

"It wasn't your fault," I softly smiled.

We sat in uncomfortable silence for the next hour or so, enjoying the view and each other's presence. 

My sister found us and let me know we were heading home. I don't know why I told Draco that, my family doesn't know that I use my nona's maiden name. They think I'm being shunned by everyone or thriving. It's not like my siblings would've noticed, they were sent to Beauxbatons.