Chapter 46: Snicket

MHOREIN

I faked a smiled when he approached us.

"Hi! Pasensya na, Mangangaelam na naman ako. Trabaho lang, Walang personalan."

"But I was two rooms away when I heard a commotion. And Im a journalist." He nervously laughed.

"So I checked it out..." Eryn looked around.

"And saw that gruesome scene." He pointed at the pool of blood slowly getting soaked by the dirty white carpet.

"And I was like, Holy hell man. If this wont get me that promotion, I dont know what will." We just stared at him as he kept talking.

Nababayaran ako tuwing may roong pinapatay pero hindi naman ako kasing saya nitong taong ito.

All of us went awkwardly silent. He fixed his glasses and coughed.

"I- I mean. Ehem."

"Cool case." He pursed his lips and finger gunned. My top lip rose up and my eyebrows met.

"Yeah... It is." Chain said suspiciously. Aiden creeped infront of me.

"So cool... That is would make such a... Cool story." I stared at Aiden as he weirdly emphasized the word cool.

Eryn slowly backed away.

"Yeah... W-What Im trying to say is... Do you guys mind if I document this? Keep notes."

"Oh kaya, Baka pwede... Akong tumulong." I barely heard what he said last but it didn't matter.

Eryn twitched as Aiden stopped infront of his ear, Examining him. Aiden then continued to creepily walk around him, Mind I say, Too close around him.

"Pwede naman... Hindi ba, Detectives?" Aiden tried hard to wink at us.

"What are you doing?" Chain asked. Aiden stood straight and walked beside me.

"Not taking any chances, That's what." He whispered.

Eryn smiled awkwardly. Knowing Aiden, I thought he might have gotten along with Eryn.

Ngayon nga lang namin nakilala si Eryn pero hindi ko naman inaasahan na ganito ang ugali ni Aiden sa kanya.

"Sure, Eryn. You can stay around, Just dont touch anything-" Chain cut me off.

"Uhm. Mhorein? Can we talk? In private?" Chain took my hand and dragged me across the room.

"That's unprofessional. He's not qualified or even allowed to stay here. He's not, in anyway, Involved in this. If he was it may be on a bad way." Chain looked at me worriedly.

"It's fine. It's not like he can do anything badly. Tumingin ka sa paligid mo." Chain looked around and realized that we're surrounded by police officers and professionals on the field. Chain looked at me with hesitance.

"Fine." His shoulders dropped as he gave in. I walked back to the bathroom ignoring Aiden and Eryn's weird whatever by the door.

I stared at the writing on the mirror again. It may seem inappropriate at the moment but I let out a faint laugh.

"My god! It's right under our noses! How did I not see that earlier?" I exclaimed at the very obvious sentence.

"I am not scarlet please call my love..." Chain and I looked at each other. Chain ran towards the bed and grabbed a phone.

"It's ringing..." He put it in speaker and infront of me. A couple more rings before...

"Hello? Hi love, What time are you coming home? Im making your favorite." He greeted, As if he was smiling. My heart broke just by thinking about telling him what happened.

"Hi, This is Detective Mhorein Layla Agustin." It was followed by complete silence. As if no one was on the other line.

"Where did you find her..." He answered in a monotone voice. My eyebrows met. The three of us looked at each other, confused.

"D-Side hotel. Leounet." I heard a car door slamming.

"Im on my way."

"That was... Odd." I said when the line cut.

"Sino naman iyon?" Tanong ni Aiden.

"Uhm..." Chain scrolled on the phone.

"His nickname on the phone is 'My Love.' And his name is..." Chain continued to scroll.

"Nicholson..." And again.

"Pascual. She called her Nicholson and said she was so excited to be mrs. Pascual." My heart sank by Chain's statement. She was getting married.

"That explains the uneven skin tone on the ring finger." Chain said.

"Am I in the right place?" We tilted our heads to the main door.

"Mr. Pascual." He nodded.

He stepped forward with a blank expression. Its not as weird as it may seem but I expected a sobbing, devastated, mess. Or even a glimpse of joy if he ever wanted her dead. But nothing. He was just... Blank.

Huli akong makakita ng ganitong mukha ay hindi maganda ang mga sumunod na pangyayari. Parang walang reaksyon, Walang nararamdaman tungkol sa mga pangyayari.

"Where is she?"

"She's gone, Sir." He nodded.

"Anong nangyari?" His lack of expression bothered me.

"You're not even concerned? Mourning? Nothing?" I asked him.

He looked at me, As if confused by my straight forward-ness. Eryn started writing things downs. He took a picture of Nicholson.

Mr. Pascual didnt even flinch or got weirded out by this photo taken without his consent. He kept his eyes on me.

"Where were you?" I asked.

"Before I got here?"

"Of course." I raised an eyebrow.

"At work. Here." He handed me a piece of paper- No, a calling card.

"That's my office address." He pointed.

"You dont seem affected." Chain said.

"Well, momento mori." A phrase around here which means, Remember you will die.

"You expected her to die." Chain said. Nicholson rose an eyebrow.

"Dont we expect everyone to die?" I pursed my lips.

HUMMS professor? Psychologist? Philosopher? Author? What? What are you?" Tanong ko.

"Isnt that your job to know."

"Sir, if you keep whatever this is, We're gonna have to list you down as one of the primary suspects." Babala ko.

"We met six years ago, I warned her. I told her not to do this anymore, To stop." He took a step towards me.

"Cause I promised ever since we met that I'd give her the life she wanted." Hindi ito tumigil sa paghakbang papalapit sa akin. Tumawa siya.

"But she kept going. I couldnt stop her." I kept backing away and soon enough i hit the wall.

"I was just one client who took it too far." Chain stepped in and not so gently, Pushed him away.

"And youre taking it too far again, buddy." Chain gave him a signature glare.

Nicholson looked around and saw everyone eyeing him.

"I came here to pay for everything. Mortgage, hospital fees, whatever. Even the funeral. Not to cry about a dirty whore that I planned to be nothing but a baby maker." And with that he left.

Nagtama ang mata naming apat.

"Yikes." Aiden and Eryn said at the same time.