Chapter 25 Just a Dance

It's always motivating to see people are enjoying the story! Here we go again!

Lucy grumbled in annoyance when the fire alarm went off in the school. Marinette's father, Tom, had come in to show their class a thing or two about baking. Something he did once or twice a month. For safety, everyone had to evacuate the school and Lucy could only hope it was a drill. She always loved Mr. Dupain's cooking and was really looking forward to eating what he was cooking up. Unfortunately, it wasn't a drill. Someone had called the fire department as a prank.

"I'm sure it was Chloe. I saw her on her phone right before the alarm went off!" Marinette told Lucy and Alya in the crowd of students as the principal scolded them.

"You seeing her make a phone call isn't solid proof." Alya reminded her, causing the pigtailed girl to pout.

It was of course when Chloe spoke up and accused Marinette that Alya and Lucy knew their friend was probably right. Marinette went to address what she saw but was advised not to by Alya as well as Adrien who popped his head in to give his two cents. The principal declared that since no one would come forward, everyone would be punished. Chloe of course mentioned how upset her Mayor of a father would be to hear she was being punished without proof, getting her out of trouble while the rest were left to clean up the schoolyard. Lucy looked at Adrien and she did not have to speak for him to read her loud and clear. As the class got to work, Adrien watched as Chloe shooed away Rose, who had been sweeping nearby. How people themselves perceive what they are doing is not a question that interests Adrien. There are very few people who are going to look into the mirror and say, 'That person I see is a savage monster'; instead, they make up some construction that justifies what they do. If you ask the CEO of some major corporation what he does he will say, in all honesty, that he is slaving 20 hours a day to provide his customers with the best goods or services he can and creating the best possible working conditions for his employees. But then you take a look at what the corporation does, the effect of its legal structure, the vast inequalities in pay and conditions, and you see the reality is something far different. Adrien had known Chloe for a very long time and he understood why she was the way she was, he really did. He just couldn't understand why she wouldn't strive to be better. He knew she could. It was now that the boy decided to take the advice Lucy had been so adamant about giving him and show Chloe some tough love. Even if only a little.

"Chloe, was it you who called the fire department?" He asked as hugged him.

"Of course it was me who called the fire department. So what?" She replied without a care in the world.

"And it doesn't bother you that everyone's being punished because of you?" He asked utterly perplexed.

"No. Why would it? They all seem to enjoy getting dirty making cookies. How's it any different than getting dirty, cleaning floors? They should be thanking me if anything."

Adrien stared at her and sighed in disappointment at her response as he crossed his arms.

"Chloe, how long have we been friends?"

"Since we were adorable little tots, Adrikins." Chloe said, bringing her clasped hands to her cheek.

"Well, I'm sorry Chloé, but I can't be friends with someone who treats other people like this. You've gotta be nice to people." Adrien said firmly.

"N-nice?"

"Yes, Nice. It's not that hard."

As Adrien walked away he felt both guilty and proud to have finally put his foot down with Chloe. Sure, if Lucy had been there, her words probably would have been harsher, but Adrien didn't want to be harsh with Chloe. He just wanted her to understand that he couldn't keep acting like her attitude was okay. If she didn't put in the effort to at least attempt to treat people better, Adrien simply couldn't call her his friend.