Chapter 33 The You I Know

We all have the potential to fall in love a thousand times in our lifetime. It's easy. The first boy Lucy ever loved was someone she knew in sixth grade. His name was Andy; They talked about horses. The last boy she loves will be someone she hasn't even met yet, probably. They all count. But there are certain people you love who do something else; they define how you classify what love is supposed to feel like. These are the most important people in your life, and you'll meet maybe four or five of these people over the span of 80 years. But there's still one more tier to all this; there is always one person you love who becomes that definition. It usually happens retrospectively, but it happens eventually. This is the person who unknowingly sets the template for what you will always love about other people, even if some of these loveable qualities are self-destructive and unreasonable. The person who defines your understanding of love is not inherently different than anyone else, and they're often just the person you happen to meet the first time you really, really, want to love someone. But that person still wins. They win, and you lose. Because for the rest of your life, they will control how you feel about everyone else.

"You're going to be...Chat Noir?" She spoke through the face time app on her phone to Adrien. The blonde boy sighed and rubbed his face.

"My father has been making Clara Nightnegals outfits since she first started out. He couldn't think of anyone better to play the part." Adrien explained frustrated. He didn't want to play the part of Chat Noir. He feared people would recognize him. Plagg had told him not to worry. That his miraculous would do its thing and no one would even realize it but that didn't stop Adrien from worrying. Lucy couldn't help but laugh.

"And you can't say no?"

"He made it very clear that I had no choice in the matter," Adrien told her, a bitter tone in his voice. Lucy gave him a sympathetic look.

"Well, I'm sorry you're being forced. Surprised it's bothering you though. Thought you were a big Chat Noir fan?"

"I am! I mean...I guess...I just..."

"Adrien," Lucy said, stopping the flustered boy. "It's okay. If you don't wanna do it, you don't wanna do it. If it makes you feel any better I might be up there with ya." Adrien raised an eyebrow.

"You're trying out for Ladybug?"

"Oh, no, not at all. Alya and the girls are all going to try out as extras. She insisted I join them. So while you're up there shakin' your tail, the girls and I will be getting down in the background." Lucy told him while bobbing her head side to side. A notification noise came from Lucy's phone, making her stop her antics.

"Oh, hey Luka's calling me."

"Luka?"

"Yeah, he is supposed to come with Julika to the audition thing too. I'm sure a lot of people are really. I'll talk to you later okay?"

Adrien forced a small smile. "Yeah, sure. Later." Lucy told him goodbye and the screen went black leaving Adrien to his thoughts. Luka came up a lot lately. It seemed he and Lucy had been hanging out more often these days. Luka was a really cool guy. The few times Adrien had met up with him and the others for band practice, he had learned just how mellow and nice Luka could be. As a whole, Adrien enjoyed Luka's company and really enjoyed being his friend. However, what Adrien did not like was Lucy's sudden attachment to the blue-haired boy. Nothing she ever said about Luka could really be taken into romantic context, and Luka never gave the impression that he might be interested in Lucy either, but the fact that Luka seemed almost as close with Lucy as he himself was didn't sit right with Adrien. He had been nervous to lay on any charm to Lucy, not wanting to scare her off and also wanting to be mindful of any feelings she might still have for him as Chat. He hadn't visited her as often as Chat as he once did. It was easier that way. When they were together as of late, things were slowly starting to feel comfortable again, but there was still a thickness that tended to linger in the air if he stuck around too long. Now with Luka becoming more and more of a constant in Lucy's life, Adrien feared that maybe he was being a little too patient and that his chances with Lucy might be slipping away.