Chapter 42 Love Langauge

Adrien drummed his fingers on his knees as he watched Lucy chatting casually with Alya and Marinette. His palms were sweaty and he felt nauseous. Over the past few months, Adrien had been working on a movie. Sometime after his almost part as Chat Noir in Clara Nightingale's music video, Adrien was approached to play the voice of Chat Noir in an animated film about him and Ladybug. Clara actually sang most if not all of the songs in the movie and Adrien was told it was she who had recommended him for the part. At first, Adrien had been hesitant to accept but figured that using just his voice wouldn't be nearly as easy to put together the pieces than to see in complete costume. He still remembered Lucy's reaction when he told her about his part in the movie.

"You're gonna voice Chat Noir now?" Lucy asked with a bit of a laugh.

Adrien rubbed the back of his neck and looked at her sheepishly through his computer screen.

"Yeah...I don't know...it seemed like it could be fun..."

Lucy nodded and smiled at him. "Well yeah, I mean that's very cool. I didn't know you had voice-acting skills. I guess it's not surprising to find out you do though. Your skillset is pretty all over the place."

"I could say the same for you." Adrien countered. Lucy looked at him in thought before taking a deep breath and closing her eyes.

"Alright. Hit me."

Adrien looked at her through the screen confused. "What do you mean." She peeked at him through one of her eyes.

"Hit me with your best Chat Noir impression. Convince my brain. Go!"

Hesitation coursed through Adrien as he watched Lucy shut both her eyes again, patiently waiting for him to change his voice to sound more like chat. The issue was, he didn't need to. His voice was Chats's voice. Plenty of people had similar voices, it wasn't something Adrien had ever worried about before. But Lucy...she knew his voice. With all the time she had spent with Chat, Adrien didn't doubt that if he spoke to her now, as she tried to picture Chat in her mind, that she would pick up just how the same he sounded without her being in the proximity of his miraculous to confuse her. Now he had to pretend to impersonate Chat...while also trying to not sound like him.

"Uh...eh, I don't know what to say..." Adrien laughed nervously. Lucy shook her head, eyes still closed.

"Just say a line from the movie or something."

Clearing his throat, Adrien thought about something short he could say. The less talking he did while she was trying to picture Chat Noir the better.

"Watch out Ladybug! Cataclysm! Another job well-done m'lady." Adrien spoke. His voice strained slightly as he forced it to be a little deeper, wanting to sound like himself but not too much. He watched Lucy's face carefully as he spoke, gaging her reaction as he did. Her eyebrows knitted together slightly as she tilted her head to the side in thought before opening her eyes to look at him.

"Pretty similar actually. Impressive." She sounded far away, lost in her own thoughts and for a moment it had worried Adrien but whatever dots she was connecting didn't seem to last as she shook herself out of her own head and smiled. "I can't wait to see it."

Ladybug and Chat had both been invited to the premiere of the movie but of course, Adrien was expected to be there as himself and had to decline. He wasn't sure what specific reasons Ladybug had for rejecting the offer, but he supposed the information didn't surprise him. His teammate had a very strict business before pleasure way of working. Now, Adrien sat awkwardly watching Lucy. The premiere of the movie was this weekend and after he had found out that some other person had possibly set their sights on Lucy, Adrien thought it would be the perfect opportunity to ask Lucy to be his date. She knew about the movie, wanted to see it, and he had a VIP pass to see its first showing. It didn't have to be weird.