Chapter 58 Tell Me No More Lies

Once again, I feel like it took me forever to get to this.

Adrien always felt like his life was rather mundane. Perhaps that was simply because he was used to it all. Most people seemed to be under the impression that Adrien led this fascinating and exciting lifestyle with all the photoshoots and activities that he was involved in. And for those who didn't experience those things as regularly as he did, maybe it was. But for Adrien, most days tended to feel like they all molded together. It was one of the reasons he enjoyed being Chat Noir. Sure, there was occasional repetition. Some people got re-akumatized more than others, and sometimes there weren't any akumatizations at all. Still, more often than not, there were, and generally speaking, a new villain was always around the corner.

On days like today, where everything felt rather...boring, Chat Noir thrived on the hopes that Hawkmoth would be up to no good. A part of him felt a little selfish when he thought about it. After all, what kind of person did it make him, to wish someone would be upset enough to be akumatized just so he could save them? He had talked to Lucy about it once. He had gone to visit her on a particularly quiet day.

OoOoOoOO

Chat twisted back and forth in Lucy's desk chair, looking over her room at no one thing in particular while she sat on the floor with a painting. His head swung back and in the silence, he groaned.

"Not a single Akuma today! What is HawkMoth playing at!? I'm so bored!"

Lucy snickered as she looked up at him. "Nothing better to do with your time other than hope someone gets upset enough to be akumatized huh?"

Chat Noir lifted his head and frowned a little as he thought it over. "Does that make me a bad person?" Lucy shook her head no.

"Of course not. It's actually pretty normal. Ask almost anyone who has ever fought in a war or intense combat situations, and most of them will tell you they miss it too."

Chat shifted and made a skeptical face. "Well, I don't know about that. I don't think I would ever miss being in a war."

"Is that not what you are in already?" Lucy asked with a raised eyebrow. "What else would you call the situation between you and Ladybug and HawkMoth?"

Crossing his arms Chat thought it over. Lucy didn't give him a chance to answer as she stood from her spot on the ground, wiping her hands of wet paint and taking a seat on her bed. "It's a war. Sure, it's not the kind of war you picture in your head but it's still a war, and every time your not fighting in it, your gonna miss it a little."

"Why? Chat finally asked perplexed. "I don't like fighting people, or knowing HawkMoth is controlling them. I don't want people to suffer, so why do I miss it so much when it's not happening?"

Lucy let out a deep breath and tilted her from side to side as she thought about how to answer.

"I don't think it has anything to do with those specific details really. It's well...Ladybug." Chat blinked at her before shaking his head.

"Lady- Lucy, we've talked about this, I'm not in love with-"

"I never said that." Lucy interrupted, holding her hand out to stop him. "I can't speak from experience, obviously. But a few years back, before my parents separated and all that, I remember we had all gone to this dinner party a friend of my dad's was having. You see, my dad was in the army. Long before I was born or he even knew my mom. The friend that was hosting the party was someone he knew from back then."

Chat watched Lucy curiously as she seemed to take a trip down memory lane.

"My dad, his friend, and some other party guest were chatting and at some point, the topic of the army was brought up. The woman asked if there was anything they missed about the war and I remember my dad's friend giving it some thought until he eventually said, ma'am, pretty much all of it." Lucy paused, biting at her lip as her brows knitted together.