Chapter 34 Bettle and Mr. Whiskers

Lucy sat with Marinette while face-timing with Adrien on the floor of Alya's livingroom while Alya and Nino played a dance game on her TV. The group had decided to hang out until the evening to watch the WorldCup fireworks from Place de la Concorde Ferris wheel. As in most cases, Adrien could not get permission to join his friends and instead had to settle for a virtual hangout through their phones.

"They're so in sync with each other," Marinette commented as she watched Nino and Alya twirl around.

"You're right." Adrien agreed. "Someday I hope I'll find someone I can share everything with as they do." He sighs. "But until my father starts letting me go out more often, that probably won't be happening."

"Don't worry princess. One day your prince will come." Lucy joked earning a nudge from Marinette while Adrien just chuckled and rolled his eyes.

"Are you sure your dad won't let you come? It's such a bummer." Marinette told him to which Adrien gave a nonchalant shrug.

"You know how overprotective he is. One day he'll realize I'm not a child anymore, but we're not quite there yet."

Lucy was happy to see Marinette growing somewhat more comfortable around Adrien. Even if it was just over the phone. A few days ago her family was offered to be on TV and have Jagged Stone come into their home and bake with them. Marinette had convinced her parents to allow it but ended up almost spilling the beans about her Adrien obsession in the process. When Lucy had gone to school that day she had already prepared herself for the possible complications that may have arisen with that but it seemed Marinette had managed to convince Adrien that she was just a really big fan.

"A big fashion fan huh?" Lucy remarked as Adrien told her about the encounter.

"Yeah, I mean it makes sense. Designing is one of Marinette's main hobbies. Of course, she would be a fan of my father's work, and thus also a fan of mine." Adrien said causally. "But, you've been to her home before right? You probably already knew that. Were those there when I was there to practice for the gaming tournament?"

Lucy gave a small snort. "Yeah, I know all about it. And, uh, no. Pretty sure she cleaned up a little so you wouldn't get freaked out. That was still pretty early on in your friendship after all." Adrien nodded.

Lucy leaned back and rested her arms on the back of the bench they were sitting on in the courtyard and glanced at Adrien, offering him a chip from her bag. He happily accepted, tossing it into his mouth. Salty snacks not being something he could indulge much in at home.

"I gotta ask," Lucy said, her curiosity getting the best of her. Adrien raised his eyebrows at her, waiting for her to continue. "If it had turned out Marinette did have a crush on you and took this unusual opportunity to be like 'hey, yeah, so...the thing is, I have these photos because I think you're the bee's knees and I...I don't know, wanna lick your face.' how would you respond to that?"

Adrien blinked at her. "How would I respond....to Marinette telling me....she wants to lick my face...?"

Lucy rolled her eyes ad scoffed. "Well, no not those exact words, I just mean if she had the hots for you and admitted it, what would you do?"

Thinking about it a moment, Adrien gave her a stump look. "Honestly...I have no idea. Marinette is...great. I really value her friendship and her place in my life but..."

"Say no more," Lucy said, holding up her hand to stop him. She bit the inside of her cheek, pondering on Adrien's response. He had openly admitted it. Adrien was not into Marinette romantically. She shouldn't have asked. It would be so much easier to continue to help Marinette if Lucy could remain blissfully unaware of Adrien's feelings, or lack thereof. Well, maybe in time he would develop the feelings. All hope was not lost for her dear pigtailed friend.