Chapter 59 Felidae

So this chapter is kind of a side chapter that I almost wanted to make a whole separate story because it seemed like an interesting idea but since it has been taking me so long to get chapters out for this story, I didn't want to let myself jump into a new project like I have let myself so many times before. Several things inspired this extra chapter, and I hope you enjoy it. It turned out to be unreasonably long so I'm going to break it into two parts. This part is almost 12,000 words coming at my 4th longest chapter, the 1st being chapter 56 at 19,600 ish words.

The idea: Ladybug and Chat Noir face a new villain. A young scientist who was criticized for his dedication to researching alternate dimensions becomes akumatized into "Nexus." With the promise to prove the existence of other realities in exchange for Ladybug and Chat Noir's Miraculous. In their fight, Nexis gets the upper hand, knocking our Heroes through a portal to a world that seems the same but turns out to be very different.

Enjoy!

OoOoOoOoOo

"Phillip!" A middle-aged woman called out from the kitchen. She was a pear-shaped woman, who stood on the shorter side. She removed her apron that had been protecting her light blue button-down and khaki capris, grabbed the roast she had made, and cut it into slices on a platter, bringing it to the dining room table. "Time for dinner!"

Phillip, a twenty-six-year-old college student trots down the steps of his family's home and makes his way to the dinner table where his, mother, father, and younger brother have seated.

"It's so good to have you back home, sweetheart!" Philip's mother gushed. Philips rolled his eyes but smiled.

"It's just for break mom. I'll be back, hunkered down in my lab by next week. Really I should still be there now, but, I know how bad you wanted a visit." Philip help out his plate and his mother placed some pieces of roast onto it. "Besides, if there is one thing I did miss, it's your home cooking."

Philip's father, silently watched his eldest son for a moment while he cut into his dinner over his wire-rimmed glasses.

"How goes things at the university anyway son? Not wasting away all the money it took to get you there I hope." Nelson, Philips's father, asked casually.

Philips gave a tight-lipped smile. "Of course not. And it's going great. I'm doing very well in all my classes and my research is-"

"Research." Nelson scoffed. Philips's father was... old-fashioned to say the least. It wasn't that he didn't believe in science or the process that science needs to develop, but in his eyes, when you go to college, no matter what degree you go after, you should go for the one that can lead down the best career path. Science had an immaculate amount of potential as far as well-paying careers went and when his son had claimed to show interest in Astrophysics, Nelson saw great potential for him.

The problem was that Philip's area of interest in that program quickly narrowed down to the existence of dimensions carrying other realities. Not other planets or universes, but different variations of the same place, Earth. It almost wouldn't bother the older man, except for the fact that his son had become so obsessed with the topic that he hardly made time for his family. Being the family-oriented man that Nelson was, this rubbed him the wrong way.

"Yes, dad, my research." Philip shot back in annoyance. "It's very important."

Nelson let out a deep chuckle. "That is where you and I have to disagree, son."

"Well, your not a scientist so..." Philip mumbled, pushing his food around with his fork. Mary, Philips's mother, took in a sharp breath and attempted to change the subject.