Chapter 43 - A Bloodcurdling Confession

'When blood of light and blood of dark join together in one heart.' Elizabeth's soft voice drifted through the open window. You stopped wiping the table and stiffened, listening closely. Elizabeth hummed the familiar tune as she swept the verandah.

She remembers the words, you said, feeling your breath begin to hitch. Not just the tune. The words as well.

It's okay. Meliodas's voice was soothing even as his forehead began to crease. Probably just because you sang it to her so much when she was a baby. That's all.

So it's my fault. You began to twist the rag in your hands. Your breathing became faster.

No, said Meliodas firmly. Those words will always be inside her whether we say them or not. He passed by your table and squeezed your hand for a second. The only thing you did was be a good mother. And before you say anything, he continued quickly as you pulled a face, you can't change my mind, so there. He poked his tongue out at you.

You rolled your eyes but couldn't stop from smiling slightly. You set about untwisting the rag. It was very wrinkled now. Elizabeth was still humming, so you wandered over to the open window and leant on the sill.

'And with her aid all war will cease and Britannia will finally know peace,' Elizabeth finished the song and leant on her broom with a self-satisfied sigh.

'That was a nice song,' you said.

Elizabeth jumped and turned. 'Oh, [Y/n], it's you.' She smiled and blushed a little. 'Thank you.'

You hopped up onto the windowsill and swung your legs. 'Did you make it up?'

'No.' Elizabeth shook her head. Her face turned thoughtful, her eyes looking far away. 'I heard it in a dream. But ... I feel like I've always known it somehow.' It was quiet for a moment before she laughed. 'I guess that sounds a little odd, huh?'

You could only return her smile a little bit. 'Not at all.'

A dark feeling crept over your skin. There was a Demon nearby. You jumped out the window and stood next to Elizabeth, one held out to push her back if necessary, the other resting lightly on Cosain's hilt. But, you noted, the Demon was moving fast. And not towards you.

'[Y/n]?' Elizabeth asked. 'Is everything okay?'

You kept your eyes on the horizon for a moment more before turning to her with a wide grin. 'Yep.'

The door creaked open behind you.

'Everything all right out here?' said Meliodas as he walked out to join you both.

'Sir Meliodas.' Elizabeth smiled. 'I finished the sweeping.'

'Good job. Thanks, Elizabeth.' Meliodas smiled back and met your eye. What was that?

You shrugged. No idea. It just disappeared.

Elizabeth looked between the two of you. 'Is ... is everything okay?' she asked again.

'Nothing to worry about,' you said. But then, almost immediately after you said it, something caught your eye. The universe just loved to prove you wrong. You enhanced your vision and glared at the whatever-it-was. 'Huh.' Meliodas and Elizabeth stared at you. 'Be right back.' And with that, you unfurled your wings and flew into the sky.

The piece of paper twirled in the air currents. You watched it for a moment, still not really trusting it, but when it didn't attack you decided it was indeed just a piece of paper. With something written on it. So you snatched it out of the air.