Chapter 41 - Farewell, Beloved Thief

The bar was quiet. Breakfast was finished, the dishes were all washed and put away, and everyone had split off to do their own thing. You were sitting on the counter once again – one leg crossed, the other one swinging – and sharpening Cosain. It didn't really need sharpening per se, but the rhythmic action and familiar scraping sound soothed you. As you worked, you hummed a little tune. Meliodas was behind the counter, doing something with the many bottles of alcohol. But under the peaceful air was a note of tension. The emptiness from King's abrupt absence hung in the room.

'Um, [Y/n]?'

You looked up to see Elizabeth wringing her hands and looking at her feet.

'What's up, Elizabeth?' you asked, resuming sharpening your sword.

She didn't say anything for a moment. 'I keep thinking about my test ... the one that I failed.'

You smiled. 'There's no need to worry about that. Remember?'

'But that's the thing,' she said quickly. 'You said I had a power inside me, one I hadn't tapped into yet.'

The rhythm you had going slowed down. You licked your lips. 'That's right. What about it?'

'Well, I don't know much about that, but the power that I do have – the one I'm supposed to have – is very similar to yours, don't you think?'

Your sword slipped. Your eyes flickered to Meliodas. He was watching the conversation closely. You cleared your throat before saying, 'You could say that.'

Elizabeth took a deep breath. 'So, do you think you could help me? Not with everything,' she added quickly. 'Just with making the seed bloom.'

'W-well, I—' You took a deep breath. 'I—' Your eyes darted between Elizabeth, Meliodas and your sword.

Do it, said Meliodas.

Huh? You instinctively looked at him. His eyes were unwavering as he stared at you.

Teach her, he said.

But, Meliodas, if I do, then she'll—

I know. But if she only learns half, only your half, the half we already know she's aware of, then we'll still have time.

We'll still have time?

Meliodas smiled a little. We'll still have time.

'Okay,' you said out loud, still looking at Meliodas.

Elizabeth gasped. 'You'll teach me?'

You looked at her and nodded. She beamed.

Outside, Elizabeth turned to you.

'How do we start?'

You closed the door and hummed thoughtfully. 'I guess we need some seeds.' You unfurled your wings. 'Give me a second. I'll be right back.'

It didn't take you long to collect a handful of seeds. They were from a range of plants, each with a varying degree of problems. Well, one was perfectly fine. That one would be to give Elizabeth a confidence boost. And one, you looked at the daffodil bulb, was almost completely lost.

The Boar Hat and Hawk's mum grew bigger. You spotted Elizabeth waving. Scattered at her feet was a collection of mugs, steins and bowls filled with dirt.

As you touched down lightly and tucked your wings away, Elizabeth said, 'Sir Meliodas gave us these to grow the plants in.'

'Ah, that was kind of him,' you said, looking towards the tavern with a fond smile. 'I hadn't thought of that.'