Chapter 14 - A Reader of Books

'Hey, Captain, is around here okay?' Diane asked, one hand shielding her eyes from the bright sun.

You stood on the very point of the Boar Hat's roof and looked at the landscape before you. There were windmills and crop fields and houses. Very idyllic. You breathed in deeply, enjoying the scent of freshly tilled soil and the way your chest no longer protested the movement. Whoever had stabbed you in the back did a good job. Your hands started to tremble and you clenched your teeth. They were going to pay.

'Yeah.' Meliodas's voice cut through your brooding. 'It's a little far from town, but we oughta be all right if we can do some promoting.'

'Thanks for everything, Hawk's mum,' said Elizabeth. 'Why don't you rest a bit, too, Diane?'

Diane shrugged. 'Sure. I'll just grab a little shut-eye 'til the tavern opens, then.' And, with a great clanking as Gideon hit the ground and a large yawn, Diane curled up on the grass. 'Goodnight, you guys.'

Hey, [Y/n], you coming to help get the tavern ready?

You looked down at Meliodas as he walked back inside with Elizabeth and Hawk, grinning at the way his hair bounced merrily. Sure, gimme a sec.

The bell at the door of the Boar Hat tinkled and you heard the door shut. You closed your eyes and took one last deep breath before walking down the roof and slipping in through the window to your and Meliodas's bedroom.

'All right, everyone. Why don't we get ready to open up?' Meliodas's cheerful voice drifted up the stairs.

You could imagine the way he looked, standing with his hands on his hips as he addressed his "troops". Smiling to yourself, you walked slowly down to the bar.

'Us guys will handle the food stocks,' Meliodas continued, throwing you a smile as you hopped up onto the counter. He turned back to Elizabeth. 'Now, Elizabeth, go down to the village and spread the word. And could you also buy some herbs while you're out there?'

'Sure,' said Elizabeth.

Meliodas turned to the pig. 'Hawk, you should go with her for support.'

'One of these days you're gonna learn how to say please,' you said, swinging your legs and rolling your eyes. Meliodas poked his tongue out at you and you grinned widely. Elizabeth giggled.

'Whatever, it's fine by me,' said Hawk, 'but do you really think she'll be okay?'

Elizabeth whirled on the pig. 'I'm perfectly capable of going shopping!'

'I know.' Hawk waved a trotter. 'But the Holy Knights are still after you, aren't they? I mean, wouldn't it be better if you just stayed here?'

'Are you doubting your abilities, Master Hawk?' you teased. Hawk huffed.

'Staying cooped up will just get her down,' Meliodas said with a smile. 'It's fine; if anything happens, we'll rush right there.'

You nodded. Elizabeth blushed and stammered a thank you.

'Looks like someone doubts my abilities,' Hawk grumbled to himself before saying louder, 'Yeah, but still ...'

Meliodas thought it over. 'How about a disguise then?'

'A what?' Elizabeth asked.

You clapped your hands. 'A dress-up opportunity.' And with that, you whisked Elizabeth away. 'Try this one,' you said, thrusting the dress at Elizabeth.

She put it on, looking slightly bemused. Once she was ready, you lead Elizabeth back to the bar and said, in an announcer's voice, 'Village girl.'

Elizabeth posed, blushing slightly. Meliodas and Hawk appraised the look but, before they could say anything, you took Elizabeth back to try on another outfit. This was too much fun for it to end on the first try. As the impromptu fashion show stretched on, Elizabeth started to get into it, giggling with you as she put on each new ensemble you picked out.