Chapter 61 - The Cursed Family

Elizabeth looked at her hands. They looked very much the same, which was odd considering what had happened that morning.

'Is everything all right, Elizabeth?' Elaine asked, closing her book.

Diane sat up. 'You do look rather pale.'

'Yes, everything's fine.' Elizabeth tried to smile. 'Although ... something happened this morning.'

Elaine tilted her head. 'What was it?'

'Do you need us to beat someone up for you?' Diane punched a fist into her palm. 'Just say the word and—'

'No, no, nothing like that,' said Elizabeth quickly. Her eyes darted to the door. It was still closed. 'If I show you two something, will you promise not to tell anyone else?'

Diane and Elaine spoke at the same time. 'Of course.'

So Elizabeth took a deep breath and closed her eyes. She wasn't quite sure what had triggered the change or even if she'd be able to do it again. After all, it had only happened once.

That morning at the castle, a maid had dropped a plate. A shard of porcelain cut her hand and Elizabeth hadn't even hesitated to heal the wound. But this time, when she had closed her eyes to find the life like [Y/n] had taught, it was like Elizabeth could see another path. It was a dark path, like it was in the woods with trees that blocked out the sun. But it wasn't scary. After healing the maid, Elizabeth returned to her room and leant against the door. She closed her eyes and again the paths appeared before her, one in bright sun and one in cool shade. And for the first time, Elizabeth took the shady path.

Now, even with her eyes closed, Elizabeth could feel the gaze of her friends. But she pushed that aside and found the two paths. She stepped onto the shady path and felt her hands get hotter and hotter. Two gasps. Elizabeth opened her eyes.

The black flames danced on her palms. Elizabeth forced her heartbeat to slow (the first time she had done this, she screamed and dunked her hands in the vase on her bedside table). But this time, Elizabeth brought her hands to her face and saw how the flames flickered and writhed, pleasantly warm and not burning her skin at all.

Elaine leant forwards in her chair. 'How ... how are you doing that?'

Elizabeth shrugged. 'I have no idea.'

Diane came closer. 'That power looks like the captain's. Oh! Do you think this is what [Y/n] told you?'

'Huh?'

'Remember? You told us that [Y/n] said you had a power you didn't know about yet. When you went to Istar.'

'Oh, that's right,' said Elaine, settling back and raised a hand to her chin. 'Which means she must have known about this, right?'

'Have you asked her about it?' Diane whirled on Elizabeth. 'Or shown her? Or the captain?'

Elizabeth frowned and let the flames die out. She didn't look at her friends. 'No.'

'But—'

'When [Y/n] told me about that power, she looked kind of scared. I don't want to hurt her. Or Meliodas. So please—' Elizabeth looked Diane and Elaine in the eye '—please don't say anything just yet.'

Elaine smiled softly. 'Okay.'

Diane didn't look as sure but nodded anyway. 'If you're sure.'

'Thank you,' said Elizabeth.

'So,' Diane asked, changing the subject, 'are you feeling any better, Elaine?'

Elizabeth watched the Fairy closely and smiled. Elaine certainly looked much better. There was a soft pink in her cheeks and a light in her eyes.