Chapter 38 - What We Lacked

'A secret base?' Ban stared at Zhivago. 'Don't be stupid.'

Zhivago laughed slightly. 'Why is it stupid?'

Ban scowled at the floor. 'Because you told me about it, dumbass. And now you're leading me right there.'

'It's a safe space.' Zhivago's voice turned soft. Ban blinked. He had never heard an adult sound like that before. 'For both of us.'

The two of them wove through back alleys keeping their heads down until they came to shabby looking building. Ban glared at the building. How was this a secret base? It's right in the middle of town.

'Over here, Ban,' Zhivago called in a whisper. 'Quickly.'

Ban looked at the wooden cover sceptically. 'And you're sure no one knows about this place?'

'Positive.' Zhivago lead the way down a short flight of stone steps. 'Make sure to put the cover back after you.'

Biting his tongue but rolling his eyes, Ban did so. Thankfully the cover didn't make the so-called base pitch dark. Dumbass must've left a fire on. Still, there would be time for a lecture on fire safety. Too busy going over the insults he would use in his speech, Ban didn't notice Zhivago standing frozen on the third last step until a hand was on his shoulder.

'Who are you?' said Zhivago loudly.

Ban stared at him. Had he lost his mind? But no. Zhivago was talking to someone else. What a crappy secret base. Ban tried to peer around Zhivago to see if it was someone he knew, but the older man kept forcing him back.

'Ah, you're back,' said a voice Ban didn't recognise. It sounded like a girl. He finally got around Zhivago and saw that it was a girl. She had [y/h/c] hair and a kind smile that was slowly disappearing. 'Oh dear.'

Zhivago grabbed Ban's shirt and roughly tugged him back again. 'I'll ask you once more,' said Zhivago, voice hard. 'Who are you?'

You sat in the small stone room and watched the flames dance. Meliodas had sure picked a weird place to wait. It wasn't his style at all. Way too dingy. And it kind of stank. But maybe that was the point? It would definitely grab attention and cause rumours if people spotted him coming and going from such a place. Satisfied with your reasoning, you settled back to wait for Meliodas's return.

The only evidence of time passing was the fire. You had replaced the logs once before noises came from above. Two voices. Wood scraping. Feet on the stone steps. Finally. It had been so long since you had last seen Meliodas and now here he was. Your leg started to bounce.

'Who are you?' said a loud voice. It didn't sound like Meliodas. Had he brought someone with him? Was he playing a prank? You couldn't stop the smile spreading across your face.

'You're back.' You stood up. You were so ready to see green eyes and messy blond hair again. So ready to see his smile and kiss it and feel his warmth. But the eyes yours met were the wrong shade of green. They were too high up. And this person did have someone with him, a boy with angry red eyes. Your smile slid from your face. 'Oh dear.'

The tall man pushed the boy behind him. 'I'll ask you once more. Who are you?'

He raised his fists and his eyes darted around the room, no doubt looking for some kind of weapon.

You raised your hands and stood up slowly. 'My name is [Y/n].'

'What are you doing here?' The man didn't relax his stance and kept the boy behind him. It made you smile softly. This man was a parent.

'I'm looking for someone.' You kept your voice soft and your hands raised. 'I thought he would be here.'

'Why?'