Chapter 57 - Emotional Maelstrom

Below the fires roared. Smoke choked the sky. You ignored it all, focussing instead on Monspeet and Derieri in front of you. They growled low in their throats, red eyes burning hotter than the flames. You held Elizabeth's hand tighter.

'Lady [Y/n],' said Ludociel behind you. His presence was ice on your spine. 'Let us join forces and bring down these savage ugly beasts once and for all.'

'No.' You didn't even pause.

'Huh?'

You looked at Elizabeth. She nodded. You smiled. 'We'll save them.'

Elizabeth didn't notice when her hands stopped shaking. Her heart was still beating slightly too fast. She was still scared. But she wasn't going to let that stop her.

Her mother started to glow. The power grew, whipping through the air. It was cold, exactly like Elizabeth knew all Goddess's power to be. Unlike the powers of Ludociel and the others, though, Elizabeth could feel something behind her mother's power. Something not unlike compassion.

'Let There Be Light.' The power burst from her palms as two beams of light. They collided with the Demons. Elizabeth took a breath that only wobbled at the start. And she closed her eyes.

Reach out. Exactly as her mother had taught. Find the life.

The darkness hurled into her mind. Scorching heat.

Don't panic. Exactly as her father had taught. The fire is your friend.

Elizabeth waded through the darkness until she found them. Monspeet and Derieri cowered, huddling together. Lost. She reached out a hand.

'Come on,' she said. 'Let's go home.'

Your hands were tingling. Your toes were cold. And still you poured out more power. The darkness in Monspeet and Derieri fought wildly. Cornered beasts with sharp teeth. You gritted your teeth and pushed harder.

Elizabeth hadn't moved. She was still beside you, eyes closed and arms outstretched. Her face was screwed up in concentration. Every now and then, her lips moved like she was talking but you couldn't hear what she was saying. Her power flickered around her fingers, dancing like Meliodas's flames and shining like your light.

Slowly but steadily, it was getting easier to let your power into Monspeet and Derieri. Less resistance. One corner of your mouth twitched up.

'Lady [Y/n], are you insane?' Ludociel shouted behind you. You didn't let your concentration waver. 'These lowly beasts aren't worth saving. If we wipe them out, then we, the Goddess race – no, all other races – will have less of a threat to face. It would put an end to this Holy War!'

That last sentence resonated with power. It echoed in your mind. And you ignored it.

More light found its way into Monspeet and Derieri. The doors were opening. There was sweat on Elizabeth's forehead. She still hadn't opened her eyes.

'You're gonna get pushed back.' Somehow, you heard Meliodas's voice. He believed in you. He had always believed in you.

'I won't stop.' Elizabeth's voice was so strong. You blinked and stared, but she was still in the same position. 'I won't give up.'

Your smiled grew. And the light grew.

Ludociel scoffed. 'I can't take part in this farce anymore.' His freezing presence got closer. 'I'm going to kill them here and now while I have the chance.'

'No!' Your glared at him over your shoulder. 'You can't. Don't do it, Ludociel!'

He just laughed. You wondered if he was close enough for you to kick him.