Chapter 33 - Overwhelming Violence

No one moved. You and the others faced off against Galand. Hawk's observation of Galand's Power Level resonated almost physically through the people around you. Slowly, Galand started to walk forwards, each clanking footstep rattling your bones.

'A Power Level of twenty-six thousand?' asked one Holy Knight in disbelief.

'I can't stop shaking,' said another.

'We must evacuate the townspeople.'

'A demon sealed away for three thousand years. Galand of the Ten Commandments,' said Slader. You wondered if saying it made him believe the words more.

'His Power Level may be more than we imagined,' said Merlin, her voice somehow as calm as usual, 'but something about this seems odd. Hey, Hawk, what's his Magical Power?'

'Hm? I don't know. Let's see ...' Hawk paused. 'Looks like ... zero? What's going on here? Is this Magical Eye busted or something?'

'I see.' You could imagine Merlin's eyes narrowing. 'Must be the lingering effects of the Goddess race's seal.'

Out the corner of your eye you saw Diane lean forward and clench her fist. 'All right. That means now's our only chance to attack.'

Beside you, Meliodas leant forwards too. His nose scrunched up. So many emotions right now. There were no soothing words you could say. Most would lose their meaning in this situation.

Elizabeth, said Meliodas. You blinked and stared at him. We're gonna protect Elizabeth.

You turned back to Galand, your grip tightening on Cosain. Yeah.

'So this is where the humans nest,' said Galand. He looked around at the houses and stroked the pointed bit of armour on his chin. A tiny part of your mind wandered off to debate with itself whether that counted as Galand's beard or not. 'Seems there've been quite a few changes over the last three thousand years.' He turned to look at where the citizens of Camelot were watching and whispering. 'But as usual they're all clumped together. I suppose some habits never change. It's too cramped.'

Galand's voice turned more sinister and he raised his halberd. Before you could do more than think not good, Galand swung his weapon twice.

Everything disappeared in a cloud of dust. It stung your eyes and tickled your throat. You reached back blindly, your hand searching for Elizabeth but you'd settle for anyone. Feeling something warm, you latched on, a small gasp letting you know it was indeed Elizabeth. Disembodied screams were louder in your ears than the bangs and crashes. Your stomach heaved.

The dust cleared slowly. You blinked it out of your eyes, letting go of Elizabeth to rub at them because what you were seeing couldn't be right. The houses of Camelot were gone. You were standing in the middle of a wide expanse of dirt. But no ... wait ... You were standing in the exact same place as before. The buildings weren't gone. They'd all been shunted to the sides, pushed away by Galand's strikes.

A wobbly gasp. Arthur. 'The city is ...'

Elizabeth and Diane gasped too. Hawk squeaked, his whole body shaking.

'Ah.' Galand sighed, his voice calm. 'That should make things a little roomier. Now, where was I? Meliodas, I've been waiting for quite some time to fight you one on one.'

Wait for an opening, said Meliodas and then he was gone from your side. He leapt, sword cutting through Galand. Darkness burst from Galand like blood, his mouth gaping wide, in shock or pain you couldn't tell. Or maybe neither. Without looking, Galand speared Meliodas like a fish.

Even though you knew that wasn't the real Meliodas, everything inside you lurched. Elizabeth whimpered. Your left foot shifted slightly, closely watching Galand move.