Chapter 40 - Where Love Is Found

You opened your eyes just as Meliodas reappeared.

'Yo,' he said, raising a hand in greeting to the others. With his other hand, he pulled you to your feet.

Gilthunder made a noise of relief. 'I'm so glad you're all right.'

Without letting go of your hand, Meliodas made his way over to them. 'Didn't I tell you guys? I only went over there to say hi.'

'But I want to know exactly what kind of greeting you gave them,' Jenna demanded.

'Oh, that's simple. I just warned them that if they did something stupid then we'd go there and beat them up.'

This seemed to shock everyone for some reason. King was especially incensed.

'You're the one being stupid,' King shouted, 'because what you did was go out there and pick a fight.'

You just shrugged. Come on, what were they expecting Meliodas to do?

Meliodas rubbed the back of his head and hummed. 'Well, I guess that's true.'

'Only a moron would intentionally go out of his way to wake up a sleeping giant like that!' Jenna got up in your and Meliodas's faces. Her cheeks were flushed with anger and one of her hands was stretched out, ready to grab one (or both) of you. You didn't want to know what would happen if she did.

'Come on. Do you have to yell?' said Meliodas, blank faced.

'I have every right to yell at you,' said Jenna at the exact same time as King.

Meliodas let go of your hand and straightened up. 'The Kingdom of Britannia is full of different nations and villages. They'll be able to raid them all pretty easily by splitting up. Soon, they're gonna realise that. With the Ten Commandments in one place, we don't stand a chance against them. Including me and [Y/n].'

'So,' you said with a smile, 'we're gonna separate them.'

'And we can start crushing them, one or two at a time,' Meliodas finished, a matching smile on his face.

Familiar footsteps – or rather trottersteps – came from behind you along with a familiar voice. 'That plan's sweet. Just thinking about it makes my snout tingle.'

You span. 'Hawk.' You froze.

'Well, I guess this means you've finished up all your training too, Haw—' Meliodas froze.

The three of you stared at each other for a moment. Hawk's new look certainly was ... something. Were those horns on his head? And his back, ears and legs were covered in what looked like scales. They flowed seamlessly into his, er, pig skin. You blinked and decided you didn't want to ask.

Apparently deciding the same thing, Meliodas turned his back on the ... pig ... and said, 'Yo, Zaneri. If you're out here, then does that mean Elizabeth's finished up with her trial?'

Before Zaneri could say anything more than 'um', Hawk screeched. 'Excuse me?!'

'Hey, looks like the others are also coming back,' said Howzer, also drawing attention away from Hawk.

You turned to the Cave of Training and saw that your other companions were indeed emerging from the gloom. Arthur, Gowther, Slader and ... Griamore? And they were all – one in particular – joined by something else.

'Arthur,' said Merlin, 'what's that peculiar thing sitting on top of your head?'

To you it looked like a cat. A red and white cat. With no legs.

'A mystery,' said Gowther.

'A mystery,' said Arthur.

Griamore started to wail. 'I'm scared.' No surprise there. He was a toddler after all.