Chapter 37 - A Promise To A Loved One

The light had disappeared. Elizabeth stared at the unmoving bodies of [Y/n] and Sir Meliodas and tried not to freak out too much. Every now and then, their faces would twitch. But their eyes remained closed. Elizabeth knew if she tried to talk to them, they wouldn't answer. They wouldn't even hear her call. The thought made her shiver.

'Lady Zaneri,' Elizabeth said, 'I don't understand. Why are they acting so strangely?'

'This is the Tower of Trials,' said Lady Zaneri.

Elizabeth stared at her. 'The Tower of Trials? Is this the one to find out if they can get their power back?'

Lady Zaneri nodded. 'Right now, both Meliodas and [Y/n] are being tested to see if their souls are worthy of receiving the power taken from them.'

'Oh I see.' Elizabeth had faith they would pass the tests, but what if ...? She hurried closer to Lady Zaneri. 'Is it hard to restore someone's power once it's been removed?'

'Not really,' said Lady Zaneri, putting a hand on her hip. 'The issue is what happens after it's restored.'

Oh. Was Lady Zaneri scared of what Sir Meliodas would do? Or perhaps [Y/n]? Elizabeth's frown deepened.

Another light began to glow. This one was not as bright as the one that had taken Sir Meliodas and [Y/n], and it faded quicker. A golden goblet landed in Lady Zaneri's palm with a light metallic clink that rang in the open space. The Druid Chief brought it over to Elizabeth. Elizabeth just stared at it.

'Elizabeth, I'm giving you this as your trial,' said Lady Zaneri, holding out the goblet.

'It's just a goblet.'

'Not exactly. It's what's in the goblet. A diseased flower seed has been planted in this soil. Neither water nor light can make it bud now.'

Elizabeth reached out and took the goblet. It was cold. She stared at the soil blankly.

'Try to make it bloom.'

'Are you serious?' Elizabeth stammered.

Lady Zaneri looked as impassive as ever. 'It should be rather simple. If druid blood flows within you veins, they you should definitely have the power to heal. If you can't even do this, then you'll never hold you own in battle.'

Even though the Druid Chief's face remained blank, her eyes staring into Elizabeth's were cold. There was a challenge in them. And something akin to disdain.

Elizabeth gripped the goblet tighter. 'I accept and I'll do my best.'

The streets of Danafall were just like you remembered. Even the smells in the air and the sound of three pairs of feet on the cobblestones were overwhelmingly familiar. Zaneri had really done a good job.

Meliodas walked calmly on the other side of Liz with his arms behind his head. He looked completely nonchalant. You didn't have your ring to rely on to know his thoughts or feelings, but you didn't need it. You could see the tightness of his eyes and the tenseness in his shoulders. The corners of his lips were turned down ever so slightly.

Your eyes flickered from Meliodas to Liz and your throat started to close up. As you walked, you linked your arm with hers. She was so warm. Your eyes started to prickle.

'What's up?' said Liz, looking down at you. 'You're being weirdly clingy.'

You laughed lightly but didn't let her go. 'I guess I just missed you.'

Liz rolled her eyes. 'I saw you this morning.'

'Yeah, [Y/n],' said Meliodas with a cheeky grin that didn't reach his eyes.