Chapter 68 - The Seven Deadly Sins End

You were scared. Your heart was beating so fast it was almost a constant thrum. Everything was shaking. Your throat was dry. And still you stared into Chandler's eyes.

'He's turned into some kind of hideous beast,' said Elizabeth, her voice almost breathless.

Somehow you managed to reach for Meliodas, pulling him close against your chest. Just a little bit, barely noticeably, your heart calmed.

'This is bad,' said Hawk, using his snout to lift Gowther. 'We're getting out of here, guys.'

But how? Chandler would follow. It felt like the coldness of the rocky floor was creeping up your legs and turning them to stone.

Chandler raised his cane. But it wasn't a cane anymore. Or rather, it hadn't been a cane this whole time. Chandler unsheathed his sword and your head span. Your chest felt tight.

Gripping Diane tight in one hand, King used the other to attack Chandler. 'Increase!'

The daggers flew through the air, a swarm of pointy insects that surrounded the Pacifier Demon. Dust obscured him. All you could see of the battle were occasional flashes of light. There was no way to know ... You couldn't tell if Chandler was being hurt. Of course he wasn't.

'I'm gonna stay right here and buy you some time,' said King. 'All right? So you take the others and run, Ban.'

No words. There were no words in your mind.

'Are you crazy?' Ban snapped. 'I can't leave you here all by yourself.'

'You'll only get in my way, so just go.'

Elizabeth took a step forward. 'But—'

'Lady Elizabeth,' King cut her off, 'take Diane.' He threw tiny Diane in her direction without looking. Elizabeth caught her.

'No way!' Diane leant forwards on Elizabeth's palm. 'I'm going to stay here and fight with you.'

That was right. You took a deep breath, pushing down the screaming voice telling you to grab Meliodas and Elizabeth and just run. It was very loud. But your love for these people was louder.

'I'm sorry,' said King. His voice was soft. 'Not this time. I may be a lame excuse for a king but even if it's only at the end, all I want is to protect you and the others.'

There were tears in the air, sparkling like stars.

Diane screwed up her face. 'No, you can't. Please no!'

'I'm begging you. Just get out of here!'

With King's shout, his attack got stronger. The metallic sounds got faster.

And a shard of light, brighter and sharper than King's, rose into the sky. Chandler brought his sword down. It was headed straight for you. You were frozen. A clang. Through the light, you could see Chastiefol shatter.

And then there was nothing.

When you could see again, you were sure you were dreaming. Or maybe Chandler's strike had knocked you silly. Because there's no way Hawk's mum could really be flying ... right? She was using a giant yellow flower like a magic carpet. It carried her back to the ground gently before disappearing in a flurry of petals.

It was then you realised the ground wasn't hard and rocky anymore. Neither were your legs. Instead, you and all your friends were being held in a giant blue palm. The owner of the giant hand's giant face looked down on you, his friend hovering by his shoulder.

'Always trying to carry the whole burden alone,' said Gloxinia, folding his arms. 'Kings can lean on people too. There's no shame in doing that from time to time.'