Chapter 30 - Existence & Proof

Fraudrin was pleased. Everything he'd worked for these past ten years, every minute spent in the company of the disgusting humans, had finally paid off. Dreyfus was in his mind screaming in terror and that made Fraudrin smile. To some, Fraudrin's friends were terrifying.

'Hey, Fraudrin,' said Melascula. 'Is that a human body you're inhabiting by any chance?'

'Indeed. Using it has been quite easy.' To show his point, Fraudrin raised his hand. It had taken some time to get used to the stench and being short, but they didn't need to know that.

'How is it that we were the only ones able to escape?' asked Gloxinia from his nest of vines.

'Because I didn't have enough blood from the Daughter of Divided Blood to break the seal. My apologies.'

Derieri pushed back her hair. 'That's the bottom line, huh? Not much there.'

'In other words,' said Monspiet, 'you're saying that the presence of the Goddess, Giant and Fairy races is barely detectable?'

'Mm.'

Fraudrin blinked. He still didn't know how Monspiet could interpret Derieri's bizarre way of speaking. But now he had the translation, Fraudrin could elaborate.

'During the war three thousand years ago, they ended up losing most of their power. As we did,' said Fraudrin. 'Essentially, it's the humans who rule Britannia now.'

The ragged breathing of Hendrickson was getting faster. Fraudrin smirked wider. Dreyfus yelled for his friend to run.

'My goodness,' said Melascula. 'So the most short-lived, fragile and hapless of the five races is in control.'

'Hey,' said Galand, whose echoey voice was just as Fraudrin remembered. 'You were the only one who escaped being sealed, right? What have you been doing all this time?'

Fraudrin frowned. 'I had a lot of things to sort out. I've only been self-aware ten years. And there was this meddlesome group called the Seven Deadly Sins standing in my way.'

Zeldris smiled. 'Meliodas, right?'

'The bottom line is I'm tired,' Derieri drawled. 'I've gotta recharge.'

'Yes. Before anything else, our first priority should be to get some rest.' Zeldris stared at his hand pensively. 'The long-term effects of the Goddess's Seal seem to have depleted our magical powers. Edinburgh Hill should be to the east.' He turned in that direction. 'We can rest when we arrive. Let's go.'

Fraudrin took to the sky, aware of his companions doing the same. The wind brushed against his body and he thought how nice it was. To have them back. And to not have to hide himself anymore.

Elizabeth walked beside Margaret calmly. They were heading to the front of the castle in order to bid farewell to Sirs Gilthunder, Griamore and Howzer. Margaret seemed as composed as usual, but Elizabeth had the feeling her sister was not as calm on the inside. She also had the feeling this was not Margaret and Gilthunder's true goodbye.

Raised voices came from where they were headed and Elizabeth caught Margaret's eye. That voice sounded exactly like Veronica's.

'Big sister Ellie,' said Veronica loudly as Elizabeth and Margaret entered the courtyard, 'these guys just told me they were setting off on a journey.'

Gilthunder, Griamore and Howzer were all ready to go. They had cloaks on and horses ready. It seemed they now only lingered to say goodbye to the princesses.

'Yes, I know,' said Margaret.

'No way!'

Gilthunder and Howzer seemed reluctant to meet Veronica's eyes.